• Haglund
    Cosmic inflation is no indirect evidence
    — Haglund

I disagree.
    T Clark

Your good right! If you want to take a fantasy as explanation, feel free!

Thesis: Gods created spacetime and particles.
    Observation: There are particles and spacetime
    Thesis proven
  • Angelo Cannata

If an object is changing, that change must be measurable, then it belongs to the realm of science. May be it is not measurable just because we have not powerful enough instruments, but in that case it still belongs to science, if it is just a problem of powerful instruments. If it is not measurable because it belongs to a realm different from science, then how did you realize that it is changing?

In other words, the question that your message gives rise to is: what is then the difference between science and metaphysics?
  • Jackson
    In other words, the question that your message gives rise to is: what is then the difference between science and metaphysics?Angelo Cannata

I don't see any relation between science and metaphysics. Or, science and aesthetics. Or, science and ethics.
  • Jackson
    Thesis proven
    Haglund

No one is talking about God on this thread. At least not me. Metaphysics need not even address the issue of God existing or not existing.
  • Haglund

Gods are the ultimate metaphysics. The MWI or eternal inflation fantasies pale in comparison, though gods are no fantasy, while eternal inflation and MWI are.
  • Jackson
    Gods are the ultimate metaphysics. The MWI or eternal inflation fantasies pale in comparison, though gods are no fantasy, while eternal inflation and MWI are.Haglund

Not sure I understood. Your belief in God is true but physicists talking about a multiverse is fantasy?
  • T Clark
    Thesis proven
    Haglund

• Cosmic Inflation is currently the scientific model that matches the cosmology we observe best.
    • One of the consequences of Cosmic Inflation is the existence of multiple "universes" separate from our own.
    • This provides indirect, not conclusive, evidence for the multiverse.
  • Haglund

Almost. God is true, the models are a fantasy, explaining nothing about the nature of quantum mechanics or inflation. The are metaphysical fantasies to bridge a gap in knowledge which themselves are not knowledge with observable features. No one has seen a parallel world or eternally inflating space, which is a totally ridiculous assumption.
  • Jackson
    Almost. God is true, the models are a fantasy, explaining nothing about the nature of quantum mechanics or inflation. The are metaphysical fantasies to bridge a gap in knowledge which themselves are not knowledge with observable features. No one has seen a parallel world or eternally inflating space, which is a totally ridiculous assumption.Haglund

Okay. I do not agree with anything you said.
  • Haglund

I don't disagree with initial inflation. I disagree with the eternal variant.
  • Haglund
    Okay. I do not agree with anything you said.Jackson

Do you mean you have seen parallel worlds?
  • Jackson
    Do you mean you have seen parallel worlds?Haglund

I never mentioned parallel worlds.
  • Haglund

Didn't you cite Sean Carroll?
  • Jackson
    Didn't you cite Sean Carroll?Haglund

Yes.
  • Haglund

And that was in relation to the MWI?
  • Jackson
    And that was in relation to the MWI?Haglund

Yes.
  • Haglund

Well, aren't there parallel worlds in the MWI?
  • T Clark
    I don't disagree with initial inflation. I disagree with the eternal variant.Haglund

It's not a question of what you and I agree with, it is what the current state of knowledge in cosmology indicates. Again, I'm not saying it's perfect, but it is evidence. Maybe you'll turn out to be right, but for now, it's reasonable for me use the current state of knowledge as evidence.
  • Jackson
    Well, aren't there parallel worlds in the MWI?Haglund

Not that I am aware of.
  • T Clark
    I don't disagree with initial inflation. I disagree with the eternal variant.Haglund

Also, it is my understanding that astronomers are currently looking for evidence of other universes associated with inflation.
  • Haglund

Like I said, feel free what you think. There is no evidence that we are a pocket in an eternally inflating fantasy. If you are okay with that, knock yourself out!
  • Haglund
    Also, it is my understanding that astronomers are currently looking for evidence of other universes associated with inflation.T Clark

I read that too. The popular press...
  • Haglund
    Not that I am aware of.Jackson

There are even infinite many worlds in MWI. Right now you should be branching into a multitude of them.
  • Jackson
    There are even infinite many worlds in MWI. Right now you should be branching into a multitude of them.Haglund

Okay.
  • Haglund

So, can you prove they are there? No.
  • T Clark
    Like I said, feel free what you think. There is no evidence that we are a pocket in an eternally inflating fantasy.Haglund

I have provided evidence. You haven't refuted it. You haven't even responded to the substance of my argument. Your only response is "That's fantasy." That's not an argument.

No need to respond. I'm done with this.
  • Jackson
    So, can you prove they are there? No.Haglund

Prove what are there?
  • Jackson
    I have provided evidence. You haven't refuted it. You haven't even responded to the substance of my argument. Your only response is "That's fantasy." That's not an argument.

No need to respond. I'm done with this.
    T Clark

Your assessment is accurate.
  • Haglund
    Prove what are there?Jackson

The many worlds.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.