• Hillary

They closed it. It git down voted. Then I deleted. Ill undelete!
  • Hillary
    not a consequence of, or a manifestation of, a fundamental force of evil that exists objectively, separately, and universallyuniverseness

Already on the fundamental level, good and bad exist. Attractive forces and repulsive forces. Positively charged particles and negatively charged. Particles and antiparticles. In my cosmology there is as much matter as antimatter. A balance of good and bad. Disturbing the balance is the true evil. And that's man-made.
  • universeness
    Consider the virtual particles elastic strings all over space. Two charged particles interact by coupling both to a string. It breaks up and resembles the curvy line in a Feynman diagram. It delivers the right energy and momentum to both electrons (which is easy since it has all of them!). In the mathematical expression for the associated Feynman diagram this is accomplished by Dirac deltas which pick out the right energy and momentum value (or, in the position representation, the Fourier transform, the right times and position; that's why QFT in phasespace is perfect!). The photon, after the electrons have couple ld, decouples and returns to it's closed form, the "virtual" elastic string. A single electron continuously couples to a whole bunch of them. An electric potential is established. The elastic strings continuously break up, reach out, and return to the vacuum.Hillary

You really need to have this discussion with qualified physicists. From a layperson's viewpoint, you need to explain what you mean by 'interact by coupling' (the word coupling is used in many different ways.)
    'coupling to a string,' makes even less sense from someone who does not advocate string theory!

Elon Must
    — universeness

Nice one! Like 10 000 tears... :lol:
    Hillary

Yeah, I edited that typo! and one of my favourite phrases is 10000 YEARS OF tears, not 10000 tears.

Already on the fundamental level, good and bad exist. Attractive forces and repulsive forces. Positively charged particles and negatively charged. Particles and antiparticles. In my cosmology there is as much matter as antimatter. A balance of good and badHillary

How many other opposites do you conflate with the human labels good and evil.
    You have used
    positive/negative or attractive/repulsive
    particle/antiparticle or matter/antimatter.

In what way do these differ from
    push/pull, up/down, backwards/forwards, big/small, male/female, black/white etc?

Good and evil have no such associations.
  • Hillary
    coupling to a string,' makes even less sense from someone who does not advocate string theory!universeness

The particle itself is no string. The elastic strings stand for the closed quantum bubble without external legs in a Feynman diagram. The mathematical expression that goes along with it is an integration over all energies (including negatives!) and momenta (independent time and space components of the momentum four vector, which in the real particle case are connected by the relativistic energy momentum relation). The particle rotates in spacetime (fluctuates!, hence a fluctuation!) With all energies and momentum, giving what is needed in an interaction, and returning to the isolated elastic string state. They are not strings from string theory, just a means to visualize. A closed string breaks open, connects with two electrons (coupling), gives them the right energy and momentum, and closes again. Of course, the virtual photon interacts with virtual electrons. Second order processes. A single electron can interact with closed loops to reach out but it can also reach out to itself (self coupling, giving rise to anomalous magnetic moment). And imagine. For one two electron interaction there are infinite Feynman diagrams. There is no need to renormalize this though if we consider the particle non pointlike. A point particle is the biggest mass hallucination in history.
  • Hillary
    In what way do these differ from
    push/pull, up/down, backwards/forwards, big/small, male/female, black/white etc?
    universeness

Reaching out to attract is love. Reaching out to repel is hate, the bad, the evil.
  • universeness
    A point particle is the biggest mass hallucination in history.Hillary

No, I think that dubious honour belongs to god posits!
  • universeness
    Reaching out to attract is love. Reaching out to repel is hate, the bad, the evilHillary

So two attracting poles of magnets love each other! :lol:
    The asteroid that was attracted to Earth and wiped out the dinosaurs was an act of Universal love? :lol:
    Your attempts to anthropomorphise observed scientific phenomena and conflate them with human labels such as good and evil is at best, entertaining.
  • Hillary
    The asteroid that was attracted to Earth and wiped out the dinosaurs was an act of Universal love?universeness

Love kills! We wouldnt have been here if that didnt happen!

So two attracting poles of magnets love each otheruniverseness

Yes. Basic, simple pure love. The longing to be together.
  • Hillary

Yes. Like the Higgs mechanism.
  • universeness
    Love kills! We wouldnt have been here if that didnt happen!Hillary

Yeah ooooookkkkaaayyyyy! If we go extinct by full nuclear war then, that will be a godly act of Universal love in your mind. After all, according to you, love kills.
  • Hillary
    Yeah ooooookkkkaaayyyyy! If we go extinct by full nuclear war then, that will be a godly act of Universal love in your mind. After all, according to you, love kills.universeness

War is hate! And the way its performed nowadays, caused by science and its mive away from nature.
  • universeness
    War is hate! And the way its performed nowadays, caused by science and its mive away from nature.Hillary

War is caused by humans but so is peace and nature invokes science through the human tendency to ask qustions.
    In the film Spartacus with Kirk Douglas.
    He explains to his love interest Lavinia that he hates war. She asks what he wants from life and he says he wants to know things like where the wind comes from. She tells him that the wind comes from a god who blows into the world from a cave. He laughs at this suggestion (thankfully).
    My worry is that if you read Lavinia's story of where the wind comes from you might suggest to others that her story may in fact have been true, originally, as the first cause of all wind but now that god just lives in heaven beside his dinogod chums and is entertained by watching us. :rofl:
  • Agent Smith

Here's what I think:

Evil, there seems little doubt that it's real/it exists; I've deliberately ignored the possibility that it has to be an illusion (omnibenevolent God, karmic debt, justice).

Let's proceed...

Contextualize evil in an end-means framework/setting.

1. Evil as an end is, in my humble opinion, true evil. To enjoy/draw satisfaction from the suffering/death of others (sadism). Rarest of the rare and so less of a problem.

2. Evil as a means. Sic vita est. A saving grace, a redeeming quality, ought implies can. We really need to work on this, with a vengeance I might add. We should be able to figure out how we can make both the ends and the means good. Anyone who discovers this secret of morality deserves not one, not two, but an of Nobel Prizes.

:snicker:
  • Hillary

War is caused by humans and nature invokes science through the human tendency to ask qustionsuniverseness

War is caused by humans, off course. But there are different means for waging it. Based on science it turns into pure evil.

My worry is that if you read Lavinia's story of where the wind comes from you might suggest to others that her story may in fact have been true, originally, as the first cause of all wind but now that god just lives in heaven and is entertained by watching us. :rofl:universeness

Don't worry. The gods enjoy the wind they see blowing from caves! :grin:
  • Hillary
    discovers this secret of morality deserves not one, not two, but an ∞[/i]ofNobelPrizes.<br/><br/><spanclass="RiceBallRiceBallSnicker"><span>:snicker:</span></span>Agent Smith

Damned brother Agent! You astound me every time! :grin:
  • universeness
    Evil, there seems little doubt that it's real/it existsAgent Smith

But the question is does it exist as a 'force of evil,' outwith the human condition or/and outside of the sentient experiences of any lifeform?
  • Agent Smith
    brother Agent!Hillary

:snicker:
  • universeness
    War is caused by humans, off course. But there are different means for waging it. Based on science it turns into pure evilHillary

Oh I don't know so much! If I knew for sure a nuclear war was coming I would try to stand right where the ICBM lands. Very quick death! Much nicer than getting chopped to pieces by swords wielded by mental Romans in the past. The vast majority of all humans will dies very quickly in a full nuclear exchange, thanks to Science!
    For most victims, nuclear war offers a quicker death than conventional war.
  • Agent Smith
    But the question is does it exist as a 'force of evil,' outwith the human condition or/and outside of the sentient experiences of any lifeform?universeness

In my humble opinion, evil is just biological (pest) control. :snicker:
  • Hillary
    But the question is does it exist as a 'force of eviluniverseness

That's not the question. It's a fact.
  • Hillary
    The vast majority of all humans will dies very quickly in a full nuclear exchange, thanks to Science!
    For most victims, nuclear war offers a quicker death than conventional war.
    3m
    universeness

Yes. A-bombs are only human! Only those who survive die very slowly, while not being involved in the battle at all!
  • Agent Smith
    thanks to Scienceuniverseness

:up: Quick & Painless Morte!
  • universeness
    That's not the question. It's a factHillary

:roll: Are we back to your electrons (evil as negatively charged), antielectrons or positrons (good as positively charged) Does the fact that its the ANTIelectron that's positively charged not mess up your pure conjecture? ANTIchrist is evil after all! And another thing is the antichrist not just Jesus' mother's sister. If she was Mary Christ then her sister would be Jesus' anti by relation (or is my spelling wrong? :rofl: )
    I can hear the conversation in the christ household now!
    Jesus: Now listen ma! you cant invite your sister, i know she is my anti but she is evil, Satan spawn!
    Mary: BUT SHES MA SISTER! you little spoiled brat!
  • universeness
    Quick & Painless Morte!Agent Smith

Exactamundo! Try getting @hillary to appreciate all that science has done for him :roll:
    He is an ungrateful little tyke of a polytheist! :rofl:
  • Hillary
    Does the fact that its the ANTIelectron that's positively charged not mess up your pure conjecture?universeness

Your attempt to point to contradictions and inconsistencies doesn't hold up. The anti electron is anti negative, so a love electron. But when meeting another positron, they hate each other. Only opposites attract. That's why I love my wife. She's ugly and stupid! :lol:

In my humble opinion, evil is just biological (pest) control. :snicker:Agent Smith

The spray?
  • Hillary
    Exactamundo! Try getting hillary to appreciate all that science has done for him :roll:universeness

Yes. Thanks to that I have happy dreams about destruction. And now I feel it getting near, what else to thank for a quick death I'm to much a coward for to do myself? :lol:
  • SpaceDweller
    Let's face the fact. The evil is undeniably with us. It's an undeniable part of us. Of me, of everyone, of the universe, of the eternal gods.

The question is, what shall we do with it?
    Hillary

To deal with evil we have laws but laws do not stop more evil and new kinds of evil.
    Evil can be chased away only with incense and torture but issue is that evil today has run out of control not by amount of evil but rather by count of people tolerating evil.
  • universeness
    To deal with evil we have laws but laws do not stop more evil and new kinds of evilSpaceDweller

So human laws that deal with human evils which have been labeled as such by other humans.
    So do you agree that evil does not exist as a fundamental force/power outside of sentient lifeforms?
    Do you think evil has a metaphysical existence?

Evil can be chased away only with incense and tortureSpaceDweller
    Why would evil be scared of torture? is evil not masochistic? Why would evil be afraid of one of its own manifestations? That of torturing others.

but issue is that evil today has run out of control not by amount of evil but rather by count of people tolerating evil.SpaceDweller

Compared to all times past? Compared to early tribal cultures? Compared to during the holocaust?
  • Agent Smith
    Exactamundo! Try getting hillary to appreciate all that science has done for him :roll:
    He is an ungrateful little tyke of a polytheist! :rofl:
    universeness

:snicker: We've made so much progress! :grin:
  • Agent Smith
    The spray?Hillary

Something like that! I however can't figure out how Jesus was a pest? It's relative then. Good folks can get in the way of a perfectly laid out plan. :chin:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.