• 180 Proof
    :cool: :up:

Some of my thoughts on "gratitude" from old threads:
    [E]xistence is gratuitous and not "mysterious" – the only reason for it all that does not beg the question with an infinite regress is that there isn't any reason for it all – and so we find ourselves each one meaningful to oneself (conatus) and then, to the degree we're a sentient species, recognizing each other as also meaningful to herself and so shared (eusocial) meanings (i.e. kinship, morals, dance, myths, communities, etc) emerge and are cultivated through time.180 Proof
    I show gratitude for my daily bread with generosity to others I encounter everyday
    [ ... ] I try to be a good Samaritan and a smart Spartacus. I also try to live by Hillel the Elder's golden rule [ ... ] the Sisyphusean courage-to-empathically-be.
    180 Proof
  • Agent Smith
    Gratitude is a nonbinding IOU issued by some beneficiaries. :snicker:
  • baker
    Of course. How else do you think I have my opinion on the matter?

How we respond to a perception of lack etc?skyblack

Who is "we"? Hence, it seems you're after a universally applicable explanation of gratitude that will hold for every person, regardless of said person's specifics.
  • skyblack
    Of course. How else do you think I have my opinion on the matter?baker

I'm asking questions, ain't I? I will recommend you do the same. Instead of forming opinions that may or or may not be correct. But more on this in a moment.

First, i had to repeat the questions 3 times for you to give a straight answer, after you initially pretended-

Not sure what you're asking.baker

What i was asking were straightforward questions, questions you were attempting to evade for some reason. Please stay away from any evasion tactics, if you wish to continue.

Who is "we"? Hence, it seems you're after a universally applicable explanation of gratitude that will hold for every person, regardless of said person's specifics.baker

The following were my questions on "lack"

Note: continued on next post
  • skyblack
    Along the lines, you have also understood lack? The nature of it? How it arises in a person? What are its effects. How we respond to a perception of lack etc? The entire movement of lack? You have reflected and processed all these?skyblack

You cut/cherry picked one question (italicized above) and gave your answer. I recommend you address ALL questions in the context they are being asked, and also ask questions (like you see me asking) instead of assuming, forming opinions, or putting words in my mouth. To quickly touch on what you have said, I'm not "after" anything. At this time we are simply attempting to understand your objection.

Now, again, Have you understood the nature of lack?

Along the lines, you have also understood lack? The nature of it? How it arises in a person? What are its effects. How we respond to a perception of lack etc? The entire movement of lack? You have reflected and processed all these?skyblack

Are you going to go with what you have said before, viz

It seems that for most people, their intuitive response to an experience of lack is not gratitude, but sadness, contempt, or anger.baker

Or are you going to answer all questions and add more?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet