• niki wonoto
    Have you ever feel that the universe conspires against you?

Literally in almost everything you do, no matter how good your intention or what you're trying to do, in the end eventually sooner or later everything just keep failing & crumbling down to nothing. I don't know why. It's like I have bad lucks even in small little things. Everything doesn't work out, even when I've already at least tried. Nothing matters.

I don't even know anymore what to do, or even what to believe. I don't know what I did wrong. I don't even know anymore, if god does exist (or any 'spiritual' system like karma or "law of attraction" thing etc etc), what is my sins that somehow the universe just keep punishing me again & again & again, even when I've already at least tried to do good. Of course I know I'm far from perfect. I even admit that. I'm just only a human being, who can make mistakes. But why all of these happened to me?

Of course people will have different opinions about this, depending on their belief system, worldview, background, mindset, etc etc etc. So I don't even know anymore which one is true?

Why the universe seems so cruel to me?
    Why some people have all the 'good lucks/fortune' basically living their dreams, success, & happiness, but somehow, the universe just doesn't allow me to experience the same thing?
    Am I really cursed, or a jinx, or something like that? I don't know anymore

Am I really that bad of a person, that somehow god (or universe etc etc) just keeps bringing me down?

It makes me even much more depressed.

Why?
  • Vera Mont
    Have you ever feel that the universe conspires against you?niki wonoto

No. I think the universe is unaware of my existence, but if anything - fate, fortune, the spirit world - does know about me, it has been benevolent. Discounting a few rough patches, which I survived with help from other humans, my life has been good on the whole. I lucked into a period of history after one really big international mess, when people were inclined to build instead of tearing things down, and before the next major conflagration - and all the time, I lucked into a geographical region that was not on fire. And being very much aware of my good fortune in big things helps me to cope with little things going wrong.

Why some people have all the 'good lucks/fortune' basically living their dreams, success, & happiness, but somehow, the universe just doesn't allow me to experience the same thing?niki wonoto

You don't know much about the inner lives of people who appear outwardly successful and happy. Some are miserable and desperately concealing it; some have ups and down, but because they take the thought and trouble to correct their mistakes and move on, their lives look effortless from a distance. And many have picked themselves up out of great depths of misfortune, physical and mental challenges an reclaimed their lives against the odds. It's true that some people are born lucky and stay lucky, but by far, far, the vast majority have to struggle, as you do, or more so.

Am I really cursed, or a jinx, or something like that? I don't know anymoreniki wonoto

It's possible, I suppose, that you have worse than average luck. But the difference between hope and despair is not in the circumstances; it's in the attitude.
    As Cassius said: Men at some time are masters of their fates: The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings. Might you become master of your fate through choice—no matter what the stars say?
    If you think of yourself as cursed, you will miss opportunities to improve your situation. If you think nothing will work out, it won't.
  • Sir2u

Nope, but I sometimes/often feel like it does not want to cooperate either.
  • 180 Proof
    Yeah, but the fucker hasn't beat me down yet. :wink:
  • L'éléphant
    It's possible, I suppose, that you have worse than average luck. But the difference between hope and despair is not in the circumstances; it's in the attitude.Vera Mont
    That's why I watch horror movies. I get to relive the victory achieved when the kick-ass hero beats the evil after having been torn in different parts of his body, covered in blood, haven't eaten for days, one eye shut blind, the other half-operating. After all that -- he gets to take one shot that ends it all and kills the enemy. And it's not like he wins material riches with this victory. No. He gets to continue living, back to his normal average life. That's his prize.
  • Vera Mont
    That's his prize.L'éléphant

That, and his perfect, unscathed dental work.
  • L'éléphant
    That, and his perfect, unscathed dental work.Vera Mont
    I don't know why I keep forgetting to include dental work in my horror analysis. :up:
  • 180 Proof
    That's why I watch horror movies.L'éléphant
    :cool:

Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon. — G.K. Chesterton
  • L'éléphant
    That's what I'm talking about! :100:
  • Vera Mont
    The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.180 Proof

I have a slightly different take on this. The baby doesn't dream of dragons or evil: its world revolves around meals, nappy changes and cuddles - but it may have an instinctive fear of falling and loud noises that feature in its dreams. however, a child old enough to understand fairy tales is aged a precocious 3 at the earliest. By this time, the child not only has a concept of badness, the dragon, the bogey, but knows its existence in himself. He has the urge to trample and destroy (see when he's awake, how he topples towers of building blocks and crashes toy cars into walls?) He is the monster. And he needs to deal with that - first through wish-fulfilling dreams, in which he throws the baby brother into a lake of fire and stomps all over the grandparents' garden and terrifies the parents into abject obedience - where he lives out his desire for power which is utterly denied to his feeble little child self in real life.
    And then, absorbing the stories, he has the opportunity to understand the consequences monsters must suffer and appreciate the rewards that come to a hero. Dreams, then, give him an opportunity to try out roles, and choose, and stories reinforce the socially acceptable choice.
  • Moliere

Yup.

I have felt the need to ask "Why?", not only to myself, but also to others.

Sometimes the world just feels unfair.

We feel as if it ought not be, but it does feel that way.

What I've found is the world is, in fact, unfair. It's not the universe, though. Just us in our place at a time. Unfortunately, due to there being no cosmic reasons for disparity, it's actually just up to the person who has bad luck to get out of it.
  • praxis

Nice. Never thought of it like that before.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.