• Hanover
    Sounds like you're trying to shed the responsibility of earning sufficient money to pay rent, furnish the place, pay utilitities, and otherwise burden yourself with those commitments so that you can be you, outside, free, and able to pursue your passions.

My advice is to do that. Run free. See what happens. Life is all about picking your adventure.

Might not work out like you expected, but who am I to know.
  • LuckyR
    Why are most not suited for it, and to what degree are they not suited for it?

Because most value family, home and stability (at least some of the time) more than freedom, excitement and adventure.

Young folks are on average more drawn to freedom etc since they're developing their persona, separate from their family's.
  • Ø implies everything
    I think that would be good too. I am creating a foundation to come back to, yet I haven't committed to anything that needs maintenance, so I'm at the optimal place in my life to do something like this.

What do you think about the question however? Why do some people want to do this, and is it a better life?

My guess is that it is a better life, but not forever. I do wonder how long it takes before most people start demanding the other things of life that require them to settle down.
  • Ø implies everything
    I agree. I think a bit part of the appeal of running away is the escape from the social limitations, especially in that they restrict (to some degree) the evolution of the self. I don't think it leads to underdeveloped selves, but it removes more of the person's agency in guiding the evolution of the self.

So then the question becomes; are we usually better of with more or less external guidance over the evolution of our selves?
  • Tom Storm
    One has to learn how to look. Anyone living in a large cosmopolitan city has inexhaustible worlds within worlds at their disposal, if they learn how to see them. This is the most effective sort of nomadism, the kind that can be achieved by staying in place.Joshs

Very nice. I missed this when you posted it. I have often said this too. I can take a walk in my city or get on public transport and just by adjusting how I choose to regard things, I am suddenly in a new city, an unfamiliar one - even if I have been through this way hundreds of times before.

There's a richness to this encounter if you (and I am struggling to articulate this) are open to seeing and set aside your preconceptions and anticipations and bring a different form of curiosity to the experience. So much of travel to me seems to be an imaginative act that takes place within us. Maybe you can tidy up the wording for me?
  • jgill
    My advice is to do that. Run free. See what happens. Life is all about picking your adventure.Hanover

If you do this, please have health insurance. Don't expect society to give you a free ride. If you have an expensive medical procedure and can't pay, the rest of us have to pick up the tab one way or another.
  • Ø implies everything
    Don't expect society to give you a free ride. If you have an expensive medical procedure and can't pay, the rest of us have to pick up the tab one way or another.jgill

I have health insurance, and even if I didn't, you'd probably not have to pay a dime, unless you happen to come from the same country as me.
  • jgill
    you'd probably not have to pay a dimeØ implies everything

Not directly, of course. But the money has to come from somewhere. Income taxes, etc. or if you happen to have a group medical policy, its spread out over many. Good to know you are thinking ahead.

Otherwise, how will you finance your odyssey?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.