• ENOAH
    interested in taoism for most of my life. I loved Le Guin's Earthsea books and the old Kung Fu tv show as a kid. Years later, for whatever reason, I started reading the Tao Te Ching , and immediately recognized it.Patterner

I can't doubt it has structured the Foundations of my constructions, though I have not picked up anything

Taoist for some time. You mention Lao Tze. You may be getting to this as I read on, but the Zhuangzi are (I can't think of a worthy adjective) insightful. Used to be called Chuang Tzu and I bet there are scholarly translations from that time still in use (Watson? I think).

I don't know much about Buddhism, but I gather it goes much farther than taoism does in the direction you're speaking of. But I believe both offer paths to a life that is more content and less frantic. Which probably also helps people be physically healthier.Patterner

I have to say, in fairness to both Taoism and Buddhism I am far from an "adherent" nor "auhority". I was "challenged" in another thread(?) when I spoke freely about Jesus but outside of church orthodoxy, and you could say the same about taoism, and Buddhism for me. They are building blocks in what this locus in History is currently projecting.

The primary reason you're right that B goes farther in this (my) direction than T, is T is not a good fit with western philosophy at the level of discourse (and though my loose speech may not suggest it Kant, Hegel, Husserl, etc are also blocks; as are so many without my awareness. I believe I should read Merleau-Ponty, for instance but haven't gotten around to it. And Rorty! No doubt they have constructed my thinking.) Sorry my autobiographical points are to illustrate that I have sensed some--no doubt genius--"philosophers" like to insist upon what I see as "institutional" roots of an idea for it to deserve a hearing. I think almost the contrary. Of course we build off of all that is before us and should endeavor to know. And I admire the knowledge of those who like to root their ideas in authority. I just think "freedom" has its function. Ironic, when there is no real freedom. I know. Truth is, both expressing and following these hypotheses places you in paradox. People critique that (you are contradicting etc) and they're right. But it's because they haven't considered that being in the paradox is almost the closest you can get to an empirical observation (hence Zen Koan, but I'm so off topic).

Heck, even if it isn't truth, I see the value. (I suppose that's a matter of opinion.)Patterner

And an aspect of these hypotheses is that truth is ultimately what is functional. By the way, accepting that Mind is Fictional (bluntly) seems scary, nihilistic, absurd. But it is very functional. I could fill up a page. But at least, remember, mind is Fictional, you are real. It's just that you're not mind. Sounds "religious" but, you're better. Though mind is neither good nor bad but self defines good and bad.

a rejection of our individuality. The universe allows for me, and for you, to exist. Why should we not embrace and explore this?Patterner

Nice. I am not advocating for the rejection of our individuality. Cherish it. Great has come out of the constructions, love has grown far beyond its organic root. Shelters have become great art, and so too is the individual a great thing. And why should knowing you are the breath of Nature and the aware-ing of the universe make you sad about your Subject. It is a character for you to understand microscopically if you try. And I am not saying I have mastered that or even remotely approached it. But I do believe from a microscopic analysis of your character as if to master a role in a movie, you will be delighted to find that things like peace and compassion arise.

What would have been accomplished by having tried to deny the individual point of acute consciousness when it was possible?

And what would have been the point if there is not a universal consciousness, and this is it?
    Patterner

No, I think you are bang on friend. There is a universal consciousness. Move mountains with our special tool, and play your role (reminding me of the Bhagavad Gita--also, turns up out of nowhere without having thought about it; and they say mind isn't autonomous--joke) but know that you are universal consciousness.
  • Truth Seeker
    You are right. I am not a professional philosopher. I am not even studying philosophy.
  • Corvus
    Neither am I. But we are in the Philosophy forum, and can try learn to philosophise by reading books and discussing the topics.

You listed illusion as one of the possibilities for the idea of Self. I think it is somewhat meaningful concept. In my time of childhood, I had been living with the 100% of illusions on the world, life, other people and the Self.

I believed Santa Claus was real.
    I believed people live forever.
    I believed if people die, then they come back to life in a few days of rest, after seeing the same action movie actor being killed in a movie, then a few weeks later, he was back in another movie fighting the gangsters.
    I believed that old folks are born old, young folks like me are born young, and it will be like that forever.
    I believed that my parents might be God, because they could buy me nice things.
    I believed that the world is the size of my town where I lived.
    I believed that when I am asleep, the world disappears, and I am the centre of the universe.
    ... etc etc.

Those were some of my childhood illusions, which were all proven to be false, as I was growing up. I am not sure what other illusions I might still have.
  • Truth Seeker
    I believed Santa Claus was real.
    I believed people live forever.
    I believed if people die, then they come back to life in a few days of rest, after seeing the same action movie actor being killed in a movie, then a few weeks later, he was back in another movie fighting the gangsters.
    I believed that old folks are born old, young folks like me are born young, and it will be like that forever.
    I believed that my parents might be God, because they could buy me nice things.
    I believed that the world is the size of my town where I lived.
    I believed that when I am asleep, the world disappears, and I am the centre of the universe.
    ... etc etc.
    Corvus

Thank you very much for sharing your childhood illusions with us. I didn't have any of your illusions. I was kidnapped when I was four years and five months old. I have experienced all kinds of horrors that I am not going to give you the gory details of as I don't want to traumatise you.

According to Hinduism, the entire universe is an illusion. I am not convinced that Hinduism is true. I am an agnostic atheist materialist monist hard determinist.
  • ENOAH
    I am not sure what other illusions I might still have.Corvus

Might I suggest, respectfully, the illusion that you might not have any illusions?

According to Hinduism, the entire universe is an illusionTruth Seeker

Perhaps you are correct and my read is deficient. But I think for (the) "Hinduism" (you are likely referencing), the Universe is real, but all which we conventionally experience is (clouded by) projections of that Reality and not the Reality Itself, hence the "illusion."
  • Truth Seeker
    It's possible I have misunderstood the Hindu concept of Maya which means illusion. I am not an expert on Hinduism. I only know what I have read about it.

In the Advaita Vedanta school of Hindu philosophy, māyā, "appearance", is "the powerful force that creates the cosmic illusion that the phenomenal world is real".
    - quoting from
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_(religion)
  • ENOAH
    Good enough...and this is for what it is worth and in no way a "correction" but I believe I am fixating on the intricate details. That the statement, "for Hinduism the universe is an illusion" is accurate provided it is qualified that the "universe" referred to is the one (and the way in which) we "see". But that the universe is ultimately real, in the Being of Brahman...any way, your point was well taken.
  • Corvus
    You are welcome. It sounds traumatic especially for a young child.
    I have never been kidnapped. So it is hard to imagine how it would be like to go through experience like that.

I have not read much in Religion, so the Hindu system is unfamiliar to me. Would it be similar to Buddhism? I recall some Buddhism scripture saying "Seeing colour is seeing emptiness" or something like that.
  • Corvus
    Might I suggest, respectfully, the illusion that you might not have any illusions?ENOAH

Sure, I am not ruling out possibility of illusions in life and the world.
  • Truth Seeker
    Hinduism is more than 5,000 years old which makes it the oldest surviving religion on Earth. It has many Gods. Hindus believe that living things have immortal souls which reincarnate according to karma. The original Buddhism is atheistic.
17891011Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.