• Lionino
    *sigh*. The more philosophy i do outside of this forum the less appealing smart-sounding, but un(der)regulated discussion becomes.AmadeusD

For the purpose of learning philosophy, time spent actually reading the classics is more productive than arguing with idiots in the hopes of the occasional informative post.
  • Ludwig V
    For the purpose of learning philosophy, time spent actually reading the classics is more productive than arguing with idiots in the hopes of the occasional informative post.Lionino
    Well, I think that the opportunity to discuss them with other people who have also read them helps a lot. That's my biggest problem. Perhaps I should try to start some reading groups.
  • Lionino
    There are a few reading groups here — Wittgenstein, Aristotle, Kant, Descartes. But you don't see them unless you look for them because they get quickly taken over by dumb nonsense such as this and this.

Anyhow, any meaningful discussion to be had is covered 90% in the IEP/SEP page of the respective philosopher — whatever can be added by amateurs is going to be a connection between different sources or just factually wrong.
  • Ludwig V
    There are a few reading groups here — Wittgenstein, Aristotle, Kant, Descartes. But you don't see them unless you look for them because they get quickly taken over by dumb nonsense such as this and this.Lionino
    I've been aware of some of them. I suppose I'll just have to experiment and see what happens.

Anyhow, any meaningful discussion to be had is covered 90% in the IEP/SEP page of the respective philosopherLionino
    That suggests one could start a useful discussion from the relevant pages of the encyclopedias - and then read the book. Standing on the shoulders of the giants.
  • Igitur
    Personally I think atheism is logical but practicing atheism isn’t. Not because it offers the benefits of having believed in a particular religion if they end up being right but because so much of religion is based off of personal experience, so it’s good to try some out just in case you end up converted. (As long as you keep a skeptical but fair view, you shouldn’t need to worry about being tricked.)

As for the argument that it’s just a waste of time because there are so many religions and you will likely never find the right one, you can group them. If there really is a God, probably a lot of different religions would be based (unknowingly) oh the same entity. And if so many religions have truth, does it really matter that much which one you believe in as long as you get the basics right?

Specific religions are only necessary (in my opinion) if you are seeking out truth, but if you just want to be “saved”, categories should do just fine.
  • AmadeusD
    That seems paradoxical.Ludwig V

I think claiming belief and not knowledge is paradoxical. The claim to 'faith' is, to me, an indication of dishonesty or delusion.

belief implies one is not certainLudwig V
    +
    I'm happy to assert that that is not the caseLudwig V

If these two hold some water (I think your wording is a little confused, but I'm with you generally) then belief implies one is certain. If that is hte case, then belief implies knowledge, even if it isn't claimed. Its a foundational aspect of certainty, even if it's misguided or unjustified (which would be the case here - hence, delusion - I use that word with faarrrrrr less disparagement than is usually imported, btw**).

But I would say that a belief must be capable of being true and most people think that religious doctrines are true or false.Ludwig V

Hmm. This is an odd one for me, because in practice i'd have to nod along to this and roughly agree. But, on consideration, I don't think belief is apt for something capable of being "true" in the sense of 'veridical'. Belief is redundant in any scenario that this is the case. Belief is simply jumping the gun and, again, I think a form of either dishonesty or delusion as a result. "my truth" is where people get away with holding "veridical" beliefs that are, in fact, not veridical at all (perhaps your objection to the objective/subjective split gets some air here).

**to me, delusion implies that someone has simply formed a conclusion without adequately assessing the relevant states of affairs. That could be for any number of reasons, but suffice an example where someone has read a meme on Instagram about how something in psychology works and forms a belief about it. Totally unjustified and so the belief is a delusional, rather than the person is deluded. They might just be lazy. That may need further parsing, i'm aware. The addition of actively refusing to review one's beliefs is another matter.

Here is a statement from a highly-regarded Catholic philosopher, Joseph Pieper, with whom I have only passing familiarity:Wayfarer

About the preceding paragraph: I think I roughly agree, but I think the demands on one's character for religious purposes are systematically learned through manipulation of hte mind. With philosophy, i think it's a "If you're this kind of person, you'll be apt for such and such". The former seems to be capable of intercession regardless of one's "base" character for lack of a better term.

On the quote itself, several points to me make it entirely ridiculous and incoherent. I'll quote the points at which this became apparent to me:
    moral virtues become deeply embedded in our character

links the knowing of truth to the condition of purity.

the virtues of faith, hope, and love

Alll three of these lines render the rest of the passage nonsensical, and clearly manipulation into religiously informed worldview instead of a logical.
  • Ludwig V
    I think claiming belief and not knowledge is paradoxical. The claim to 'faith' is, to me, an indication of dishonesty or delusion.AmadeusD
    Well, I'm inclined to agree with you at least this far, that "I believe that p and that p is false" is a contradiction. "I believe that p and that p might be false" is not a flat-out contradiction, and could be described as paradoxical. "I believe that p and that p cannot be known, even though p is capable of truth and falsity." is extremely odd, but, for someone who believes on faith, comprehensible.
    The resolution is a bit complication. When I say "I know that p", I am endorsing p as true. When I say "AmadeusD believes that p", I am reporting that AmadeusD endorses p as true. I am not asserting that p is true or false. When I say "AmadeusD knows that p" I am reporting that AmadeusD endorses p and endorsing p myself. When I say "AmadeusD thinks that p" I am reporting that AmadeusD endorses p; but I am endorsing p as false.
    It's a bit of a side-issue, but it's the only way I can make sense of the "phenomena".

to me, delusion implies that someone has simply formed a conclusion without adequately assessing the relevant states of affairs.AmadeusD
    That seems a reasonable idea. Maybe a bit harsh - people can be misled even if they do their level best to check things out properly.
189101112Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.