• Outlander
    While all tragedy/suffering/negative emotion is poignantly unique (and as such has a capacity for emotional and intellectual depths unrivaled by even the deepest of oceans).

Agree or disagree?

Reveal
    As of late I've been pondering/trying to come up with philosophical quotes of profound depth in efforts to artificially inflate my perceived social importance (as have we all I'm sure) and this one came to mind. 99% sure I read this somewhere else, seems a bit familiar (unless it was the other way around), but that's beyond the point. Fully confident this preposition could lead to a rich, very philosophical discussion, despite (or perhaps as a result of) its simplicity but owing to my casual, hasted frame of mind, and the fact I haven't posted a topic in a year or so, decided to drop this in the Lounge and see what comes about.
    1. Are most positive experiences (joy, success, etc.) inherently the same, the inverse the opposite? (4 votes)
        Yes
          0%
        Yes, but so are most negative experiences
          0%
        No, the opposite is true
        25%
        No, all experiences whether positive or negative have equal potential for depth/uniqueness
        75%
        Other
          0%
  • Moliere
    I said "the opposite is true" because I don't think any experience is inherently the same as another.
  • Benkei
    This comes from Tolstoy's observation about it in War & Peace?
  • unenlightened
    ↪Outlander This comes from Tolstoy's observation about it in War & Peace?Benkei

If it does, it somewhat betrays Tolstoy's meaning, which is that there is no drama in a happy family; this relays the same observation that is made about "the News" - that good news is always boring, as also illustrated in every fairytale ending - "... and they all lived happily ever after." Contentment is the background normal life that drama interrupts, but not because it is one dimensional or 'the same', it simply requires no response, and sets no challenge. And that is what makes it appear one dimensional from the outside.

Does one not also get compassion fatigue when disaster becomes the normal condition? Another bombed hospital, glad I'm not there.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.