• Nils Loc
    When pothos is presented on a vase painting (fifth century, British Museum) as drawing Aphrodite's chariot, we see that pothos is the motive force that drives desire ever onward, as the portion of love that is never satisfied by actual loving and actual possession of the object. It is the fantasy factor that pulls the chariot beyond immediacy, like the seizures that took Alexander and like Ulysse's desire for “home.”
    Pothos here is the blue romantic flower of love that idealizes and drives our wandering; or as the romantics put it: we are defined not by what we are or what we do, but by our Sehnsucht: Tell me for what you yearn and I shall tell you who you are.
    — James Hillman Essay, Pothos: The Nostalgia for Puer Eternus

I think I first encountered the blue flower in this James Hillman essay.

In a botanical domain, Pothos refers to a ubiquitous house plant Epipremnum that wanders (is a vine).

There is an unknown epiphytic species (likely a true member of the genus Pothos) at my local botanical park that is quite unusual. The modified leaves are giant blue scales that hug the side of the palm it is wandering on.

So when I think of the blue flower there is also this epiphytic vine that reminds me of the scales of a dragon. It's an otherworldly psychedelic kind of plant.

All of the ideas amalgamate in my head in a beautiful (or romantic) way.
  • Cavacava
    Maybe negation is spacial

'a' doesn't seem to entail anything except itself,
    but '-a' seems to entail 'a'
    Does '-a' suggest a logical space.
  • Thorongil
    This thread seems pretentious.
  • Nils Loc
    "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed"

Thorongil is not impressed. Who is impressed that he is not impressed?

The quality of this rug (a quilt of rags) does not justify its price.

The quality of this person does not justify his/her existence (here).

Bench # 52.
  • Sir2u
    This thread seems pretentious.Thorongil

Wait till the real thread starts, it will be a little more mature. Pre tentious :-*
  • Thorongil
    Maybe this is a slam poetry contest in disguise.
  • Noble Dust
    Those tripe tacos you like are coming back in style, but it just depends on what sort of horses they rode in on when the war ended. It's clear in my mind, but I also smoke cigarettes while asleep. So, as said, no one waits for the dharmic wheel to role down the hill all the way; usually you make sure it stops before it hits the barn at the bottom. More info on his philosophy here.
  • Noble Dust

Connected to The Blue Rose in Twin Peaks?
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.