• bahman
    Brain is physical therefore brain state is physical state.
    — bahman
    What kind of physical state is? It's not solid, nor liquid, nor gas.
    Purple Pond

The number of physical states is enormous, superconductivity, Superfluidity, solid, gas, liquid, etc.

That as I mentioned is related to hard problem of consciousness. It is not clear to philosopher that why we need consciousness in order to communicate for example.
    — bahman
    I don't agree that the so called "hard problem" is harder than the "easy problem". I believe that they are the same problem.

How is consciousness different than awareness? It's hard to imagine how we can communicate properly if we aren't aware of what's going on.
    Purple Pond

Consciousness is similar to awareness.

It is not difficult to imagine that since most of the things which we communicate is the result of unconscious mind activity. We just are conscious of them when we communicate.
  • phrzn

We just are conscious of them when we communicate.
    I don't agree. You mean no communication, no consciousness?
  • bahman

No. We can communicate for a long time without being aware of the content, very similar to deriving. It seems that consciousness only comes into play when there is a difficulty that unconscious mind cannot resolve or handle. What is the exact functioning of consciousness in such a situation is not known. That is called hard problem of consciousness.
  • phrzn

I think the difference is being aware of the input data, that's why they call it unconsciousness. You become aware of it when it comes to the surface. But both are playing parts in human's acts and decisions.
    I don't see why you consider a "difficulty" in between! Anyway.
  • bahman

Why it should come to the surface? As I mentioned we can do complex tasks without being aware of them.
  • charleton
    Are you aware of being able that can experience?bahman

DO you want to parse that again??
  • bahman
    Do you want to parse that again??charleton

I mean that we are able to focus on experience and be aware of it, in another word experience it.
  • charleton
    No we recall experience. We experience ourselves continually in a way BUT...I think it makes more sense to define experience as as an interaction with the outside world, not with just our memories as such.
  • Wheatley
    The number of physical states is enormous, superconductivity, Superfluidity, solid, gas, liquid, etc.bahman
    I'll concede that brain states are physical states because your using the words "physical states" in a broad sense.

It is not difficult to imagine that since most of the things which we communicate is the result of unconscious mind activity. We just are conscious of them when we communicatebahman
    So you don't think consciousness plays a role in communication?
  • bahman
    No we recall experience.charleton

I see. That is a very interesting point that resolve the problem that I have with materialism. So we can never catch the moment and experience the subject matter?

We experience ourselves continually in a waycharleton

You mean recalling?

BUT...I think it makes more sense to define experience as as an interaction with the outside world, not with just our memories as such.charleton

I don't understand what is the relevance of what you said in here.
  • charleton

1) we have experiences.
    2) we can recall those experiences.
    3) Recalling experience is not the same as experiencing a second time.
    4) If we define experience as interaction with the outside world, then we avoid the confusion of thinking we are experiencing experience.
  • bahman
    1) we have experiences.charleton

I agree.

2) we can recall those experiences.charleton

I agree.

3) Recalling experience is not the same as experiencing a second time.charleton

I think you are contradicting yourself here. Do you mean that we can recall at the moment we experience something?

4) If we define experience as interaction with the outside world, then we avoid the confusion of thinking
    we are experiencing experience.
    charleton

So you consider memory as external?
  • Cavacava
    How is consciousness different than awareness? It's hard to imagine how we can communicate properly if we aren't aware of what's going on.

I am not sure there is a difference, but I think we often act without really thinking about what we are doing, such as turning on a light switch, when we enter a room. If someone says "Good day" to you, do you think they thought this out?

We act habitually all the time, so if there is a distinction it has to do with why we pay attention, become invested in some acts/events and not in others.
  • Wheatley
    I agree that not everything we do is through awareness. But there's a lot we can't do unless we are aware.
  • charleton
    I think you are contradicting yourself here. Do you mean that we can recall at the moment we experience something?

4) If we define experience as interaction with the outside world, then we avoid the confusion of thinking
    we are experiencing experience.
    — charleton

So you consider memory as external?
    bahman

RE- call. Implies memory. Remember last week?
    No memory is internal, but recalls experiences we conceive of as external.
    I did not think I could be more obvious in the way I wrote that.
  • bahman
    I agree that not everything we do is through awareness. But there's a lot we can't do unless we are aware.Purple Pond

Can you tell us why awareness is needed?
  • bahman
    RE- call. Implies memory. Remember last week?
    No memory is internal, but recalls experiences we conceive of as external.
    I did not think I could be more obvious in the way I wrote that.
    charleton

I see. How about recalling and the fact that it is not second experience?
  • Wheatley
    Can you tell us why awareness is needed?bahman

Because you can react to being aware of the way the world is rather than stimulus and response (knee jerk reactions).
  • bahman
    Can you tell us why awareness is needed?
    — bahman

Because you can react to being aware of the way the world is rather than stimulus and response (knee jerk reactions).
    Purple Pond

Let me ask you the question another way: Have you ever done anything unconsciously? Of course yes, deriving for example. We however sometimes do things consciously too. What is the difference between these two cases? In another word, why we don't always do things unconsciously if we could do it in some occasion?
  • Wheatley
    Let me ask you the question another way: Have you ever done anything unconsciously? Of course yes, deriving for example. We however sometimes do things consciously too. What is the difference between these two cases?bahman
    People say they do things unconsciously when they really mean is they do it without thinking. Were always conscious of our surroundings though we might not be thinking about it.

If you were totally unconscious when your driving you'd crash the car.
  • bahman
    People say they do things unconsciously when they really mean is they do it without thinking. Were always conscious of our surroundings though we might not be thinking about it.Purple Pond

I think that thinking is an unconscious activity. We just become aware of thoughts when they completely formed. I am not sure what is the use of consciousness when all the process for formation of a thought is done unconsciously.

If you were totally unconscious when your driving you'd crash the car.Purple Pond

I can derive for miles thinking of other things.
  • Wheatley
    I think that thinking is an unconscious activity. We just become aware of thoughts when they completely formed.bahman
    We think in a language. When you are conscious of your thoughts you are aware of the voices inside your head. Let's forget about thinking since you believe it is an unconscious activity.. When we say we are are not doing things consciously what we really mean is that we aren't focused on what we do.

I am not sure what is the use of consciousness when all the process for formation of a thought is done unconsciously.bahman
    So you can vocalize and write precise the thoughts that you are focused on.

I can derive for miles thinking of other things.bahman
    I bet you can't do that in your sleep when you are not conscious.
  • bahman
    I think that thinking is an unconscious activity. We just become aware of thoughts when they completely formed.
    — bahman
    We think in a language. When you are conscious of your thoughts you are aware of the voices inside your head. Let's forget about thinking since you believe it is an unconscious activity.. When we say we are are not doing things consciously, what we really mean is that we aren't focused on what we do.
    Purple Pond

That I agree. So we can do things without focus. You can focus on your internal world, what unconscious mind delivers, but that could be empty or full depending on whether there is something deliverable there.

I am not sure what is the use of consciousness when all the process for formation of a thought is done unconsciously.
    — bahman
    So you can vocalize and write precise the thoughts that you are focused on.
    Purple Pond

Yes, it seems that we become conscious of thought when they are complete.

I can derive for miles thinking of other things.
    — bahman
    I bet you can't do that in your sleep when you are not conscious.
    Purple Pond

Sleepwalker can do complex things.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.