• ssu
    Did you know that horror generated by evil kings is an expression of the divine child archetype? The evil king (Herod) is the shadow if the divine child (Jesus).frank
    People want scapegoats and saviors.
  • javra
    People want scapegoats and saviors.ssu

Both of which are an evasion from personal responsibility.
  • ssu
    Both of which are an evasion from personal responsibility.javra
    Yes. And also give a face to complex problems and the even more abstruse solutions to those problems.
  • Banno
    It's been pointed out that this is an absurd question.

So in answer I'll refer you back to an article I cited a while back: The End of the Roman Empire Wasn’t That Bad

In the light of that article, reflect on the response of the Governors to the idiocy of the Trump administration during the pandemic.

Where else but Texas would one find active protests against lockdown restrictions? There's a deep flaw in 'mercan culture that prevents it from taking collective action. Hence so much of 'merica will fall to the Tragedy of the Commons. Those states that can implement collective action will; and those that can't - we'll see.
  • Banno
    Here's one way to modify the Administration...
    An ever starker example can be drawn from the Ottoman Empire and the 'Devshirme'. The Ottoman Empire, during this period, wouldn't populate their higher-courts with insiders, but with children kidnapped. These kidnapped kids would be objective in relation to court politics, due not only to their lack of connection to dynasties, but also to the sheer trauma of capture. The emotional 'snipping ' (and, irc also physical snipping)- of capture.Thus they were able to serve the Ottoman state objectively. this still happens , but in subtler ways.csalisbury

Worth considering.
  • unenlightened
    But in itself, is it the problem? Or is it the form of government, the federal republic as so-called democracy? Or the particular form of the American government, with its three branches of government?tim wood

I think you have to blame the people in a democracy. If the people get conned, as the people clearly have been conned, it is hard for them to admit it until it is impossible to deny it. And there are always the same weaknesses at the heart of every conned person, which are greed and fear. Let's make everything great again without any hard work or sacrifice. Vote Ponzi!
  • tim wood
    Imo you're exactly correct. The US Constitution starts with the words. "We the people...". And this the founders understood as well or better than anyone. They gave us elections, the electoral college, and impeachment as medicine and curative, and we added the 25th amendment. Jefferson too reminded us of the rifle, though I am not aware he ever bore one in anger. In any case Jefferson was not talking about individuals with guns but of the tool of revolution and its possibility if ever needed. That is, the people, not the person. And I'm not sure we need to vote for Ponzi, his place already is permanent and secure (and this time he has his own printing press!).
  • Streetlight
    I guess when your country is founded by a paedophile slaver rapist like Jefferson that's why it turns out the way it does: with a 2020 election choice between two additional rapists.
  • tim wood
    Not to be gainsaid. But always good to know who your friends are. Have a nice day.
  • unenlightened
    I guess when your country is founded by a paedophile slave rapistStreetlightX

It's so annoying when that happens isn't it? But I suspect there is a category error hiding there. Slaves have no human rights because they are property, so the abuse of slaves wouldn't be rape or child rape, but some kind of animal husbandry.
  • Streetlight
    Also America is simply a plutocracy with a weak democratic spitshine (this is what 'trickles down') so no, don't blame 'the people'.
  • Metaphysician Undercover

Bestiality? That's sick in more ways than one.
  • unenlightened
    Bestiality? That's sick in more ways than one.Metaphysician Undercover

Well I understand you moderns have delicate sensibilities about slavery and this strange 'eat it or fuck it but not both' thing going, but it's hardly fair to project these onto the good ol' boys, now is it? You'll be saying next that trial by ordeal isn't proper justice!
  • frank
    Who can get enough of this guy?

AP_19201004713022-1000x667.jpg
  • Relativist
    Do any of you remember the Iraqi Information Minister (AKA "Baghdad Bob")? During the Iraq War, he would give daily briefing that were totally divorced from the facts. For example:

When US forces were in Bagdad, he said, "They're not even within 100 miles of Baghdad. They are not in any place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are trying to sell to the others an illusion."

After the US forces captured the airport, he announced, "Today we slaughtered them in the airport. They are out of Saddam International Airport. The force that was in the airport, this force was destroyed." and later: "We have retaken the airport. There are no Americans there. I will take you there and show you. In one hour."

And this particularly memorable quote:"The American press is all about lies! All they tell is lies, lies and more lies!"

Remind you of anyone?
  • frank
    Remind you of anyone?Relativist

Yes. Yes it does:

Trump%2BEagle.jpg
  • chustavo
    and i wonder where he would be at real fun, maybe hiding somewhere in secret rooms, instead such things like this.

same with our warlord The Great Putin, that thug will also not be in the scene
  • frank
    Could be. Gotta love the machine gun bayonet tho.
  • chustavo
    dont say could be, because this will be the case. this faggot and lion in the bed with some whores cannot do anything which is called manhood.

but just cashing the name and fame which these americans has gathered by hook or crook.
  • NOS4A2
    Trump’s federalist take on the current emergency has put statists on edge, but for me it is a turn away from the common ploy of seizing powers during emergency.

An excellent op-ed:

Washington’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic is upending one of the most durable patterns of American politics. Throughout history, national emergencies have led to a more powerful and centralized federal government and to the transfer of federal power from Congress to the executive branch. This time, the federal response rests largely on state and local government and private enterprise, with a wave of deregulation clearing the way. The Trump administration has seized no new powers, and Congress has stayed energetically in the game.

Trump Rewrites the Book on Emergencies
  • frank
    Throughout history, national emergencies have led to a more powerful and centralized federal government and to the transfer of federal power from Congress to the executive branch.

That's because the US faced a series of crises which required a more powerful fed. This crisis was better met by local gov'ts deciding when and how to act.
  • frank
    lion in the bed with some whores cannot do anything which is called manhood.chustavo

A lion in the bed?
  • chustavo
    if you did not understood than leave it. ( finished ) i will not teach you everything by point at every damn word.

because western people are on summit of material civilization and already know what is what. and dont have to be taught materially. is it not ?
  • frank
    I think you meant "lying in the bed."

A lion is a large predatory cat.
  • chustavo
    im an fool, just ignore me. thank you for understanding it.
  • frank
    I understand. It's an absurd picture I posted, but its funny.
  • praxis
    200420095159-stimulus-check-large-169.jpg

ECONOMIC IMPACT PAYMENT
    YOUR NARCISSIST PRESIDENT
  • Relativist
    I'm tempted to encourage Trump supporters to attend anti-social distancing protests. The bigger, and more tightly packed, the better.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.