• Merkwurdichliebe
    We discover things that exist in their entirety prior to our [ creation (viz. what they might become to us) ]. Screwdrivers are products of our manufacture.creativesoul

I would agree if you put it like that.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    A screwdriver is existentially dependent upon humans.

Agree?
    — creativesoul

How would we prove this?
    — Merkwurdichliebe

If one cannot simply agree that screwdrivers are human creations and all human creations are existentially dependent upon begin created by a human, then there's not much more I can say to such a skeptic.
    creativesoul

All we need to do is clarify what is meant by "things can exist in their entirety prior to our discovery of them". In other words, what's the difference between an undiscovered thing, and a discovered thing? Obviously, both exist in a peculiar way.
  • creativesoul
    All we need to do is clarify what is meant by "things can exist in their entirety prior to our discovery of them".Merkwurdichliebe

What part is unclear?
  • creativesoul
    We discover things that exist in their entirety prior to our [[b]creation of what they might become to us[/b]].creativesoul

I would not put it that way.
  • Merkwurdichliebe

That something can exist in its entirety prior to human contact.
  • creativesoul
    That something can exist in its entirety prior to human contact.Merkwurdichliebe

Upon what ground would one doubt that?
  • Merkwurdichliebe

I know you wouldn't. And that's what makes you a better philosopher than I.
  • creativesoul
    that's what makes you a better philosopher than I.Merkwurdichliebe

I don't know about all that.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Upon what ground would one doubt that?creativesoul

Well, if the identity-(existence) of all things is reducible to human creation, and all human creation is existentially dependent upon being created by a human, then existence prior to human contact is unthinkable.
  • creativesoul
    In other words, what's the difference between an undiscovered thing, and a discovered thing?Merkwurdichliebe

It's discovery.

...if the identity of all things is reducible to human creation, and all human creation is existentially dependent upon being created by a human, then existence prior to human contact is unthinkable.Merkwurdichliebe

What follows "then" is not a valid conclusion.

The identity of all things is existentially dependent upon being created by a human. <----- that follows.

I have no issue with that.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    The identity of all things is existentially dependent upon being created by a human. <----- that follows.

I have no issue with that.
    creativesoul

Then, a thing cannot exist in its entirety prior to its discovery, unless that thing exists as part of some type of universal understanding (logical architecture) that is inherent to all members of a species.
  • Shamshir
    We discover things that exist in their entirety prior to our discovery. Screwdrivers are products of our own manufacture.creativesoul
    They're not. They're something that exists, regardless if humans figured it out or not.
    The sculpture inside the rock exists, even if you don't carve it out.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    @creativesoul

I think we are working with two terms, existence and identity. I am confounding them here.

Let me clarify. Existence is something that is independent of identity. Identity is dependent on existence.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    They're not. They're something that exists, regardless if humans figured it out or not.
    The sculpture inside the rock exists, even if you don't carve it out.
    Shamshir

If properties are inherent to their objects, we discover them. If not, they are created by the aesthetic application of intellect.
  • Shamshir
    I might agree, while I do incline towards a rejection of "man as the measure of all things", for argument's sake, I would have to be very clear about what we are talking about by identity to settle on one side or the other.Merkwurdichliebe
    Here's a simple proposition.

Someone who has only ever written with a pen, sees it as a writing implement.
    Someone who has only ever been stabbed with a pen, sees it as a dangerous weapon.
    It's the same pen - but it looks different from each side, just like how your back looks different from your front.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Someone who has only ever been stabbed with a pen, sees it as a dangerous weapon.
    It's the same pen - but it looks different from each side, just like how your back looks different from your front.
    Shamshir

I think it can be put more didactically. We discover things that exist in their entirety, prior to their identification. There are primary attributes that we cannot help but identify. But through the ingenious creativity of the human intellect, it is very easy to apply secondary attributes to a thing's identity.

Actually, nevermind... I retract this.
  • creativesoul
    They're not. They're something that exists, regardless if humans figured it out or not.Shamshir

Rubbish.
  • creativesoul
    Here's a simple proposition.

Shamshir

Rubbish. It's a pen. Pens can be put to use in different ways.

The same conflation of names with uses...

Pens are existentially dependent upon humans. Different uses for the same referent does not change the referent.
  • creativesoul
    I think we are working with two terms, existence and identity. I am confounding them here.

Let me clarify. Existence is something that is independent of identity. Identity is dependent on existence.
    Merkwurdichliebe

Yup.
  • Shamshir
    Pens are existentially dependent upon humans.creativesoul
    Pens are not existentially dependent on humans.
    And you can't prove there isn't a world where pens exist but humans don't, and you can't prove it isn't possible - if you want to go that route.

Different uses for the same referent does not change the referent.creativesoul
    It does, when the referent is a part of your own perspective.
    But on some pink sunglasses and your sky becomes pink.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    @creativesoul

You still haven't answered my question: How does a thing exists in its entirety, prior to its discovery?
  • creativesoul
    Pens are not existentially dependent on humans.

And you can't prove there isn't a world where pens exist but humans don't, and you can't prove it isn't possible - if you want to go that route.
    Shamshir

There it is .

It can be proven that humans invented pens in this world.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    It can be proven that humans invented pens in this world.creativesoul

Then pens didn't exist in their entirety prior to their invention. What is it without the human touch? Not a pen. Not a tree. Not a galaxy. Not the great Merkwurdichliebe.
  • creativesoul
    It can be proven that humans invented pens in this world.
    — creativesoul

Then pens didn't exist in their entirety prior to their invention.
    Merkwurdichliebe

Correct. Pens didn't exist prior to their invention.

One who is unfamiliar with a pen can discover one though. They do exist in their entirety prior to their discovery.
  • Merkwurdichliebe

One who is unfamiliar with a pen can discover one though. They do exist in their entirety prior to their discovery.
    creativesoul

That is a categorical error of some kind or another. The pen is a particular invention. Can I not use the blood from my finger as a pen? Now we are getting into the same error of functionality that you were claiming of Shamshir.
  • Shamshir
    It can be proven that humans invented pens in this world.creativesoul
    The invention of pens is no different from the discovery of pens.

Man's creative capability is dependent on what is possible, and what is possible is dependent on what is.

Every invention is within the confines of the game and was not brought about by humans.
    It was played out by humans.
  • creativesoul

— creativesoul

That is a categorical error of some kind or another.
    Merkwurdichliebe

Nah. It's just taking proper account of the existential dependency of a pen. They are existentially dependent upon humans. If there were never any humans, there would never have been any pens. In addition, it also notes that some things that are existentially dependent upon humans can be discovered by another human at a later date.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    In addition, it also notes that some things that are existentially dependent upon humans can be discovered by another human at a later date.creativesoul

That is awfully inferential, and requires major qualification.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    They are existentially dependent upon humans. If there were never any humans, there would never have been any pens. In addition, it also notes that some things that are existentially dependent upon humans can be discovered bcreativesoul

It also does not exhaust the requirements for a thing to exist in its entirety prior to its discovery. I know you cannot accept this disjunction.
  • creativesoul
    it also notes that some things that are existentially dependent upon humans can be discovered by another human at a later date.
    — creativesoul

That it awfully inferential, and requires major qualification.
    Merkwurdichliebe

Ya think?

Do we not discover, throughout our lives, the inventions of other people?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.