• Mww

Lots out there that has..... what.....figured out how to do away with those sets of dualisms? This presupposes lots out there realize there are dualisms to do away with. What else thinks like we do?

I dunno about stupid. Termites been here longer than we have, but while our caves and grass huts have become ostentatious high rises, their mounds are still just piles of dirt. And even if dolphins and orcas communicate to coerce sardines into becoming bait balls, none of them have been on an obscenely expensive guided tour of Paris.
  • John Pingo
    From Terry Pinkard's book: German Philosophy 1760-1860

The distinction between “things-in-themselves” and “noumena” is tricky. The former are the things that are the unknowable sources of our sensible intuitions; the latter are concepts of the world as intelligible to reason alone, apart from any experience, and a rerepresentations of certain “wholes” or supersensible objects that traditional metaphysics thought could be grasped by reason alone. As such, noumena function as limiting concepts, as reminders and cautions about the impossibility of extending rational accounts of the world in ways that contradict the conditions under which those accounts can be given.
  • tim wood
    Interesting, I have and consult the same book! And it's some book! I read it in parts. Welcome to the site!
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.