• creativesoul
    All thought, belief, and statements thereof presuppose truth. There's quite a bit of power there.
  • Banno
    That's not flooble.creativesoul
  • Deleteduserrc
    Seeing these truths is a matter of coming to know yourself (which may involve living enough to grow into who you are)?

Once a moral truth comes into view and it seems like the leaves on a growing plant, is it a mistake to feel downward toward its roots? To see whether it comes from within or without? And if its within, is there a collective unconscious down there?

Are you saying there are just different myths for what's at the root of these truths?
    frank

I may be responding at an angle to what you're getting at.

It's a weird thing to talk about because so many categories get blurred. And I am still far on the pre-side of embodying any moral truth I may have glimpsed. I want to say an enactment of a moral truth takes the whole plant, down to where the roots of the individual plant dissolve in a larger network.

On the other hand, I think the kind of foundational analysis of roots you'd get in a Descartes is less important here, and can even muddy things.

On the other other hand, you have to have something self-monitoring because fully embodied moral truths have a bad tendency to end up in [inquisition, fascism, genocide]

I feel like it is important to know what is fear and resentment masquerading.
  • creativesoul

Explain the criticism Banno. It's unacceptable. Textbook problem. Salva veritate. Leibniz.

Not to mention, it's not allowed in substitution to begin with. We cannot substitute one term for several different terms unless they all mean the same thing. In this case, in this use... they do not.
  • jorndoe
    we all know what true isBanno

Hey that could make for a cool-sounding adage of sorts.

"We all know what true is, but we don't know all that is true."
156789Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.