• Wayfarer
    My understanding is that he’s passed some major deadline for nominations. That’s the last I heard.
  • Mikie
    Joe Biden will be the nominee. All this talk of other candidates is nonsense and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Trump will be the Republican nominee.

All of this is foregone. I imagine Biden sqeaks out another win, despite his age. Polls are way too early to learn anything from.
  • Wayfarer
    Trump will be the Republican nominee.Mikie

There’s going to be a godawful s***fight at the Republican Convention if he is. They almost derailed him first time around.
  • Tom Storm
    for an Aussie this is not always easy to follow.

Thanks.
  • jgill
    I imagine Biden sqeaks out another win, despite his ageMikie

A lot will depend upon Trump calming his rhetoric and presenting himself as the more energetic and middle of the road candidate. Stranger things have happened.
  • Mikie
    There’s going to be a godawful s***fight at the Republican Convention if he is.Wayfarer

My prediction: there won’t be.

I also have a bet going regarding Biden being the nominee: https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/807026

True— he has a shot, no doubt.
  • jgill
    Look at what has happened in Argentina where a populist Libertarian arose out of nowhere to take the presidency. True, they had 143% inflation last month. He has started a movement to eliminate public works and move to the private sector. He and Donald might well get along.

I can't imagine Joe and Kamala for another four years. But stranger things have happened.
  • Mikie

If Trump is re-elected, we may very well be doomed. It’ll do irreversible damage— especially to the environment, where we have already lost 30 years thanks to the kind of denialism he embodies.

But yes, it’s possible. Unfortunately so.
  • ssu
    Joe Biden will be the nominee. All this talk of other candidates is nonsense and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Trump will be the Republican nominee.

All of this is foregone.
    Mikie
    Except when American crave for and desire so old politicians to lead them, these people can all of a sudden die or get hospitalized. Yet it has to be Octogenarians!

Ageing%20politicians%20comp.jpg
  • 180 Proof
    81 candles vs 91 felonies (plus 77 farts)? No contest. Happy BDay, sir. :cool:
  • Relativist
    A lot will depend upon Trump calming his rhetoric and presenting himself as the more energetic and middle of the road candidate. Stranger things have happened.jgill
    I'm not sure anything stranger actually has ever happened. Regardless, my impression is that his rhetoric is what gets him elected: "owning the libs", catering to the tendencies of his base (including racists and conspiracy theorists), and corralling members of Congress who fear losing office if they incur his wrath.
  • AmadeusD
    We saw a micro-cosm of the US election here in New Zealand recently. We moved, overwhelmingly, to a liberal government in 2017 (we have three-year terms) because people got bored. 2020 - same party got an overwhelming result giving them full governmental control, essentially.

They have shit the bed, entirely, since then, basically ignoring their jobs.

This year, the right-of-center(ROC) party won, but needed a coalition to govern. So we have a very mildly ROC main party, and two coalition partners who respectively go further and then even further right in their politics.

And for all the utterly ridiculous preening and alarmism from other quarters, the right-of-center government really was the only reasonable choice. Most of the suggestions people are having an issue with amount to either socio-political discussions or outright alarmism (bear in mind, the types making those claims are the types who thought hte Hamas attack was (in the same breath as denouncing it??) understandable, and that Israel should've just taken it on the chin and given Palestine some more land or whatever. They aren't serious people.

I can't really see the US election going different, excepting some major occurance or revelation between now and voting time. And hten the cycle starts again... I can see Biden being the first Dem 1-Termer since Carter.

Edit after Wayfarer's post below: I am always struck but just how intensely partisan people get with politics. I've never found it to be worth the time - it's all a bit of a farce.
  • Wayfarer
    Disgraceful, vindictive gutter politics from the do-nothing MAGA Congress in passing the motion for a meritless impeachment today. American politics at its lamentable worst.
  • jgill
    Yes. Impeachment effort seems ridiculous. Especially since Trump leads in the polls.
  • Wayfarer
    well if he wins at least I’ll be able to tell my grandkids that I saw democracy die. If I’m allowed.
  • NOS4A2
    The House has formalized the impeachment inquiry into Biden’s corruption. The First Crackhead indicted on 9 federal tax crimes. No little posts, news links, or deep discussions on the matter. I see that our interest in high crimes and misdemeanors has really fallen off.

cdscds.jpg
  • Fooloso4
    From Republican Tom Cole, chairman of the Rules Committee:

Since September, the House has been engaged in an impeachment inquiry, examining whether sufficient grounds exist for the House to exercise constitutional power to impeach the president of the United States ...

In other words, an impeachment investigation into whether there are grounds for an impeachment investigation. An investigation into whether they can find something they have not been able to find, something to charge him with.

Hunter Biden has exposed the cloak and dagger tactics of their Hunter hunt by not complying with the House Oversight Committee's requirement for closed door testimony. Why their refusal to open the door and let in some light?
  • Michael

Openly admitting it's a political stunt.

I see that our interest in high crimes and misdemeanors has really fallen off.NOS4A2

What high crimes and misdemeanors has Biden committed?
  • NOS4A2

He said "Donald Trump 2024", therefor he's admitting it's a political sham.

He also said this:

Therefor he's admitting real concern for the president's behavior.
  • Michael
    He said "Donald Trump 2024", therefor he's admitting it's a political sham.NOS4A2

He said in response to being asked what he was hoping to get from an impeachment enquiry.

Therefor he's admitting real concern for the president's behavior.NOS4A2

He's feigning real concern.
  • NOS4A2

Where are the quotes from everyone else involved, for instance those outlining the evidence so far? I imagine those are all minimized while this one is amplified.
  • Michael
    Where are the quotes from everyone else involved, for instance those outlining the evidence so far? I imagine those are all minimized while this one is amplified.NOS4A2

You mean like this?

Some House Republicans Admit There Is No Evidence to Impeach Biden
  • NOS4A2

It’s not an impeachment. They don’t have the receipts because they are being stonewalled. Hence the inquiry. Wouldn’t want to mention that.
  • Michael
    They don’t have the receiptsNOS4A2

They don't have anything. At best it's a fishing expedition, at worst they know there's nothing to it and are simply carrying it out as a political stunt to hurt Biden and help Trump.
  • NOS4A2

There is quite a bit, actually.

Key Evidence:

- An interactive timeline of the Biden’s pay for play schemes
    - Oversight Committee report revealing the Bidens’ dealings with foreign countries.
    - Biden Bank Records Memorandum showing the family created over 20 shell companies
    - Key Findings from the IRS Whistleblowers
    - Whistleblowers’ transcripts press release and links
    - Follow-up letters seeking more transcribed interviews in the wake of the IRS whistleblowers’ explosive testimony
    - FBI Form 1023 alleging then-Vice President Joe Biden engaged in a bribery and extortion scheme and ultimately received $5 million from a Burisma executive.
    - Comer Releases Third Bank Memo Detailing Payments to the Bidens from Russia, Kazakhstan, and Ukraine
    - Sixteen Times Joe Biden Lied About His Family’s Business Schemes
    - Twenty-Two Examples of Joe Biden’s Involvement in His Family’s Influence Peddling Schemes
    -Comer Reveals $200,000 Payment to Joe Biden the Same Day James Biden Received $200,000 from Americore
    - Comer Reveals How Joe Biden Received Laundered China Money

https://oversight.house.gov/landing/biden-family-investigation/

No comment on these, I suppose.
  • Mikie
    How frustrating it must be to the Trump cult when the media, or people, yawn at their homegrown delusions.

A sham impeachment inquiry opened, in obvious retaliation for the legitimate impeachments of the degenerate con man. :yawn:
  • Michael
    Well, looking at the first thing in the list, all it says is that "the Biden family" received a lot of money from foreign nationals whilst Joe Biden was Vice President.

What's the issue there? How much money did "the Trump family" receive from foreign nationals whilst Trump was President?
  • NOS4A2

It’s not that they made money, but that it is unclear what they’re selling. I can name any number of goods and services sold by the Trump organization. Can you name one by Biden Inc.?
  • Michael
    What's written there is so vague that I can't say. e.g.:

"After the Chinese company wired the Biden associate account the $3 million, the Biden family received approximately $1,065,692 over a three-month period in different bank accounts."

Who is the "Biden associate"? What work was he doing for the Chinese company? Which members of the "Biden family" received money from him, and what work were they doing?

I suspect that the Republicans are being intentionally vague so as to give the false appearance of impropriety as part of their political stunt. Which is why they refused Hunter Biden's offer of a public testimony. They can't falsely accuse him of saying things he didn't actually say if everyone can hear it for themselves.
  • NOS4A2

That’s why an inquiry is in order, to find the answers. It should be no problem if they have nothing to hide. Hopefully with some authority the stonewalling will end.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment