• NOS4A2
    The ever-widening goalposts of Biden and his representatives.

Joe Biden and his representatives have repeatedly defended him from criticism related to his relatives, his son in particular, by issuing blanket denials of misconduct and disclaiming contact with their business affairs.

But, in recent months, as congressional Republicans have opened an impeachment inquiry and controversies related to Hunter Biden continue to be litigated in the courts and in the public square, a steady trickle of revelations have contradicted the president’s denials.

A POLITICO review of recent congressional testimony and exhibits, along with court filings and media reports, casts doubt on several statements made by Biden and his representatives.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/05/hunter-joe-biden-business-testimony-00125056
  • RogueAI
    I don't think Biden will be the nominee. If he gets forced out at the convention in favor of someone like Newsom, nobody will shed a tear. Nobody likes Biden. Harris will still be the VP, though.
  • Wayfarer
    If he gets forced out at the convention in favor of someone like Newsom, nobody will shed a tear.RogueAI

The problem with that theory is that nominations close real soon now, and Newsom is not on the ballot. He's also declared a number of times he's not running (e.g. here). There's a lot of bullshit being thrown around about Biden being senile or mentally incompetent. Granted, he's never projected well on the podium - nobody could call him a great orator - but he's quite competent, and the scuttlebutt around his age is just part of the Republican disinformation machine. It's still staggering to me, not to mention extremely dissappointing, that Trump is even considered a candidate, but I'll save that for the other thread.
  • RogueAI
    I read an article that Biden could be replaced at the convention. That the delegates are not legally bound to vote for him, regardless of what happens in the primaries. I can't remember the name of the article. Also, suppose it's July and Biden is still trailing Trump in polls. The pressure on Biden to drop out would be enormous. But then, wouldn't Harris then get the nomination?
  • Wayfarer
    I don’t believe Trump will be eligible to run, but we’ll see. Two of the big trials are early ‘24, plus the 14th Amendment cases in progress now. Trump may lead in the polls but these legal factors may, ahem, trump them.

I believe Biden will run, but next in line is Kamala Harris if he doesn’t (as Gavin Newsom said).

If some Republican other than a MAGA fanatic were to win, that wouldn’t be a bad outcome as far as I’m concerned. It’s Trump/MAGA that is a threat to the Republic.
  • Benkei
    Any outcome in the US is a bad outcome. Some are just worse than others.
  • frank

Biden will be the nominee unless he decides not the run. I think he's doing an excellent job. Do I wish he was younger? Yes. Every year after 80 is a year of decline toward the drain for most people.
  • RogueAI
    The world has gone to shit under his watch. Afghanistan was a humiliating debacle. The border situation is a festering wound. The Democrat NY mayor says New York might be "destroyed" by an influx of migrants. Americans are still reeling from historically high inflation. There's a stench of corruption around his whole family. Stores are pulling out of Democratic run cities because of rampant shoplifting. And he's too old.
  • NOS4A2

Given his ability (or lack thereof) I can’t say Biden is really running the country. He even needs direction on which side he should leave the stage. It would be interesting to know who is really calling the shots here.
  • frank
    The world has gone to shit under his watch. Afghanistan was a humiliating debacle. The border situation is a festering wound. The Democrat NY mayor says New York might be "destroyed" by an influx of migrants. Americans are still reeling from historically high inflation. There's a stench of corruption around his whole family. Stores are pulling out of Democratic run ciRogueAI

Sounds terrible. Although inflation is down. The Fed is probably through raising rates.
  • RogueAI
    I'll still vote for Biden over Trump, but let's not pretend things have gone well in the last four years. There's a reason Biden is losing to Trump in numerous polls.
  • frank
    I'll still vote for Biden over Trump, but let's not pretend things have gone well in the last four years. There's a reason Biden is losing to Trump in numerous polls.RogueAI

I think it's mainly because large numbers of Americans are nuts.
  • jgill
    I think it's mainly because large numbers of Americans are nuts.frank

Let's pretend the next presidential election has a financial criminal running against what many perceive to be a somewhat demented nitwit and his political cohort a lady who giggles a lot. How would you vote?

Perhaps you would ignore the figureheads and vote the liberal party. But, wait, that party has led to America being a "failed state", according to Britannica (lost control of its border). And it virtually overnight returned Afghanistan to the Middle Ages under the control of extremest religious zealots. Never mind that Suzy Orman states that 75% of Americans can't put their hands on $400 in an emergency. (She may or may not be right).

According to a survey conducted by Bankrate in early January, 56% of Americans are unable to cover an unexpected $1,000 bill with their savings1. This indicates that a significant percentage of American adults may have difficulty getting money in an emergency.
    BingAI

I've had former academic colleagues who are "nuts", as you put it.
  • Wayfarer
    There's a reason Biden is losing to Trump in numerous polls.RogueAI

I wonder if Americans GOP voters know that their likely presidential candidate has said, on the record, and out loud, that he will suspend the constitution and sack all his antagonists in the public service if he's elected. Do they know what they're voting for? Do they care? Do they understand? I think the answer is 'no' on all counts.
  • Benkei
    And it virtually overnight returned Afghanistan to the Middle Ages under the control of extremest religious zealots.jgill

Errr... Which president invaded Afghanistan and which president handed it back to the Taliban?
  • jgill
    Do they know what they're voting for? Do they care? Do they understand? I think the answer is 'no' on all counts.Wayfarer

I think you may be correct. Many might assume democracy has broken down and a Glorious Leader is the answer.
  • Wayfarer
    Yes, the January 6th coup attempt is still underway.
  • Tzeentch

What the fuck. This is ridiculous.

I even felt bad for Blinken on this one.

Someone stop this man. :lol:
  • ssu
    The world has gone to shit under his watch. Afghanistan was a humiliating debacle.RogueAI
    Unfortunately this won't be an issue in the election, even if it actually should be.

Who would raise a subject where both Biden and Trump are the culprits???

Is there a viable third party candidate? Nah... :worry:
  • Wayfarer
    Of course Xi Jin Ping is a dictator, although it was not particularly diplomatic of Biden to say so. He could have answered, 'the PRC doesn't elect its officers by popular vote', or something along those lines. Still, speaking unvarnished facts is not necessarily a vice amongst world leaders.
  • Wayfarer
    I did notice the Chinese put huge emphasis on 'not interfering with America's internal affairs'. The unspoken quid pro quo is, of course, 'so you won't interfere with ours, right?, including any moves on Taiwan or efforts to eliminate Islamic or Tibetan cultures from within our borders.'
  • Michael
    Special counsel investigating Joe Biden’s handling of classified material is not expected to bring charges

Special counsel Robert Hur is not expected to charge anyone in connection with the mishandling of classified documents at two locations connected to President Joe Biden, two sources close to the investigation told CNN.
  • RogueAI
    NBC poll has Biden losing against Trump for first time since 2019.
  • Baden

Good. Biden deserves to lose for facilitating the mass killing of civilians and destruction of Gaza.
  • frank

Biden is one badass oldie.
  • Baden

He's going to be on his ass by the looks of things. :razz:
  • Baden
    Anyway, I'm campaigning for Trump with @NOS4A2 now. Let's go bruv.
  • frank
    He's going to be on his ass by the looks of things. :razz:Baden

It's too soon to tell.
  • Tom Storm
    How likely do you think it is that Newsom could get the nomination? Would this work for the Dems? Commentators seem to think there is no chance it will happen.
  • schopenhauer1
    How likely do you think it is that Newsom could get the nomination? Would this work for the Dems? Commentators seem to think there is no chance it will happen.Tom Storm

Perhaps it’s the same mistake as Ruth Bader Ginsberg. No one had the heart to just say your age is an issue. But then again, a moderate old man might be better than X. Newsom is from California, not a battle ground state. You need Midwest or South nowadays if you’re a Democrat.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment