• Shawn
    That guy shaped my life.

Kingsanda...
  • Hanover
    How does having a higher IQ alter or modify one's behavior?Shawn

I saw this movie called Charley where this person had an operation or some such shit and it turned him from being dumb as shit to being a brilliant fucking egghead. When he was a dumb fuck, he'd say dumb shit, but when he sharpened up after the surgery, he had all kinds of jaw dropping things to say.

I think if you want an answer to your question, you'd go watch that movie.
  • VagabondSpectre
    I.Q doesn't cause intelligent behaviour, intelligent behaviour is itself what I.Q tries to measure.

In other words, I.Q is a measurement of behaviour.

Having a large vocabulary, the ability to perform mental-spatial reasoning, and the ability to recognize patterns are examples of faculties that support "high IQ behaviour" (actions that will lead to a high score on an I.Q test).
  • Gregory
    In other words, I.Q is a measurement of behaviour.VagabondSpectre

The problem with IQ tests is that people are intelligent with regard to their goals. A Buddhist monk or a Beatle-esque fool on the hill may not pass the logic parts of an IQ test, but he has diverted his mind elsewhere. If the human psyche is as deep as Nietzsche for example would say it is, than there does't seem to be a way to measure someone else's intelligent imo
  • god must be atheist
    An interesting fact is, if theism is false, all the wonders of the universe, including life, especially life that's capable of developing a self-sustaining harmony, an equilibrium, between the various forces that act on it, arose in the complete absence of intelligence. Humans, despite having the highest IQ of any known life, are a far cry from achieving anything like blind chance has on Earth. Doesn't this mean that, in some sense, random throws of a die or a coin exhibits greater [genius-level] intelligence than an actual intelligent being? This is the paradox of intelligence - given the current status quo regarding intelligent life, it can't compete with pure randomness in performance. So much for IQ.TheMadFool

You discount the fact that randomness has had a much longer time (four billion years on this planet) to effect change than man has had with his intelligence, which is roughly 100000 years to a million years maximum. This is a ratio of roughly 400,000 to 1.

Now conceptualize that theism is NOT false. In that case it must be true that God had an infinity to think about, plan, and conceptualize actions to come up with creation before he started the project. In this case God with his infinite wisdom compares to randomness rather poorly as an achiever.
  • I like sushi
    It doesn't anymore than consumption of chocolate.

In my opinion, there's a direct correlation towards IQ and beauty and aesthetics itself.Shawn

Opinions are opinions. Evidence works better. There is a vague link between health and wealth and IQ but it isn't massive. It is a 'factor' not a 'determining factor'.
  • Bret Bernhoft

I personally feel that the higher the IQ, the greater potentiation for divergent and/or novel behaviors (which (the behaviors) might be more likely to be labeled as odd or illness) in the individual or collective. Whether true free will is exercised or not, depends largely on other factors.
  • TheMadFool

What's the difference between a genius and a time traveler? One term for stupid people is troglodyte.
  • I like sushi
    How does having a higher IQ alter or modify one's behavior?Shawn

It depends. For most people probably not at all as most people don't vary that much in terms of IQ and a bigger influence on how it would modify someone's behavior would likely be due to their knowledge of having an IQ at whatever mark. If you value IQ and found out what your IQ was it would mean more to how you act in the future than to someone who simply didn't give a toss about what others said or didn't say their IQ was.

Attention to anything modifies your behavior towards it to some degree. Modifying our behavior is necessary. Why you ask in relation to IQ specifically rather than something else is for you to reveal to us if you wish to.
  • TheMadFool
    You discount the fact that randomness has had a much longer time (four billion years on this planet) to effect change than man has had with his intelligence, which is roughly 100000 years to a million years maximum. This is a ratio of roughly 400,000 to 1.

Now conceptualize that theism is NOT false. In that case it must be true that God had an infinity to think about, plan, and conceptualize actions to come up with creation before he started the project. In this case God with his infinite wisdom compares to randomness rather poorly as an achiever.
    god must be atheist

Hadn't though of it that way. :up:
  • onomatomanic
    Doesn't this mean that, in some sense, random throws of a die or a coin exhibits greater [genius-level] intelligence than an actual intelligent being?TheMadFool
    Pure trial-and-error is less efficient than design, of course, but it can be more effective - because it has no qualms about exploring the entirety of the solution space.
    The concept [of evolvable hardware] was pioneered by Adrian Thompson at the University of Sussex, England, who in 1996 used [a field-programmable gate array] to evolve a tone discriminator that used fewer than 40 programmable logic gates, and had no clock signal. This is a remarkably small design for such a device, and relied on exploiting peculiarities of the hardware that engineers normally avoid. For example, one group of gates has no logical connection to the rest of the circuit, yet is crucial to its function.
  • TheMadFool
    I know.

We have all the time in the world - Louis Armstrong (James Bond, No Time To Die)
  • god must be atheist
    Hadn't though of it that way.TheMadFool

:wink: :smile:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention