• Terrapin Station
    He was always posting stuff that read like newspaper editorials from 30, 40 years ago.
  • BC
    I found Ilya to be a most annoying poster. His posts were just so... out of whack, to use the technical term. He didn't seem to engage.
  • Deleteduserrc
    I got the sense he was a deeply-damaged guy who was picking up the pieces.I didn't like his posts, but I was morbidly fascinated by his presence. It sounds like he met a lady who validated his poetry unconditionally (which probably wasn't good), and then that fell apart, and he was holding things together by recycling decades old posts for approval.

I definitely think banning was the right move, because he was just spinning his wheels, but there's something somewhere in his story. There but for the grace of god
  • RegularGuy
    I would bet Ilya had some deep-seated emotional problems. There was something wrong with him; his head wasn’t screwed on right. If only @Anaxagoras would humor us with a diagnosis, but Anax is too much of a professional to do that.
  • T Clark
    Self-important windbag.Wayfarer

Hey, if you get rid of all the self-important windbags, there'll be no one left, except me and @S. Personally, I consider myself an important windbag. As for S, he reduced his presence by almost 90% when he changed his name. I guess that makes him a self-effacing windbag.

On a more serious note, the moderators do what the moderators do. This is a good forum and they get a lot of the credit. Banning people for the good of the forum is, I guess, necessary. But gloating over it - speaking ill of the banned - is unbecoming and pointless. A gracious silence or a bit of regret would be more philosophical.
  • Deleteduserrc
    I have some theories as an amateur DSM reader. Something cluster B. I hope he finds a soft place to land.
  • RegularGuy
    A gracious silence or a bit of regret would be more philosophical.T Clark

Only a part of my mind is philosophical. Another part wants to gossip. There may be several different personalities instantiated in my single brain, and right now the personality that wants to beat the guy while he’s down (probably because of a personal slight) is at the fore. Don’t ruin our fun!
  • RegularGuy
    I have some theories as an amateur DSM reader. Something cluster B. I hope he finds a soft place to land.csalisbury

What is cluster b?
  • RegularGuy

But in all seriousness, I really do feel pity for him.
  • T Clark
    Only a part of my mind is philosophical. Another part wants to gossip. There may be several different personalities instantiated in my single brain, and right now the personality that wants to beat the guy while he’s down (probably because of a personal slight) is at the fore. Don’t ruin our fun!Noah Te Stroete

A number of people have been banned whom I like and have enjoyed being on the forum with. I won't argue the need, but we shouldn't gloat. Let it rest.
  • Deleteduserrc
    What is cluster b?Noah Te Stroete

personality disorders. intense emotions, unstable sense of self. I have at least one toe dipped in myself.
  • Wayfarer
    This is a good forum and they [mods] get a lot of the credit.T Clark

Agree 100% ...well, 98%....
  • RegularGuy
    A number of people have been banned whom I like and have enjoyed being on the forum with. I won't argue the need, but we shouldn't gloat. Let it rest.T Clark

Yeah, I actually will miss him. It was like rubbernecking at a car wreck or something like that. He was an oddity, but I think he added a certain flavor to the forum that wasn’t without value.
  • RegularGuy
    personality disorders. intense emotions, unstable sense of self. I have at least one toe dipped in myself.csalisbury

You and me both
  • Deleteduserrc
    You and me bothNoah Te Stroete

:grimace:
  • BC
    I couldn't get him in focus on my radar. It didn't occur to me that something might be seriously wrong with him. So much for my diagnostic skills! :down: Sometimes it is just blatantly obvious, but... not this time.
  • BC
    Memo to everyone who feels a bit schitzoidal: Some of us are not good diagnosticians. Please be as blatant as possible. Mention your medications. Tell us your symptoms. DSM references are always helpful. Share your worst hospitalization experiences. were your parents a form of cruel and unusual punishment? Have you been cruelly jilted recently? Any really weird hallucinations? Is God talking to you a lot? All that sort of thing.
  • RegularGuy
    Memo to everyone who feels a bit schitzoidal: Some of us are not good diagnosticians. Please be as blatant as possible. Mention your medications. Tell us your symptoms. DSM references are always helpful. Share your worst hospitalization experiences. were your parents a form of cruel and unusual punishment? Have you been cruelly jilted recently? Any really weird hallucinations? Is God talking to you a lot? All that sort of thing.Bitter Crank

:lol: I’ve already done all of this on TPF.
  • Wayfarer

Noted.
  • unenlightened
    A gracious silence or a bit of regretT Clark

You completely ignored the gracious silence, so...

What great pity it is that everyone is not so unfailingly cheerful, respectful, polite, sane and interesting as me. It is not their fault or the moderators' fault, just a regrettable fact of life.
  • Hanover
    I didn't think he was troubled, at least no more than the next guy. I thought he just enjoyed penning highschoolish essays and thought his every pretty drawing deserved to be posted on the refrigerator. His failing was less his shallow posts than his failure to defend them or engage in discussion. He presented as someone who just wanted to broadcast a monologue and then move on to another topic.

His departure leaves nothing to miss because he never made himself knowable.
  • Michael
    His departure leaves nothing to miss because he never made himself knowable.Hanover

Who are we talking about?
  • Baden
    Lotta action on this one.
  • tim wood
    Lotta action on this one.Baden

Indeed, maybe he should be invited back and reinstated. (Or not.) Else what T. Clark said And amen.

I felt no obligation to read his posts. But to me his never even seemed close to some of my - and our - worst.
  • tim wood
    What great pity it is that everyone is not so unfailingly cheerful, respectful, polite, sane and interesting as me. It is not their fault or the moderators' fault, just a regrettable fact of life.unenlightened

What a great joy to know that on these seas this lighthouse shines....
  • T Clark
    Who are we talking about?Michael

@Baden - didn't you hear, he finally banned himself.
  • Michael
    Good riddance.
  • Baden
    :cry:
  • Baden
    Banned (after a few checks) @Elise for sending this PM.

"Hi, how are you? I'm Elise, from Germany, please, I would be happy to establish good relations with you, also i have something important to discuss with you. Please I want you to contact me directly on my personal email today.. ok:: "

I presume I'm not the only one who received this. Please report this kind of stuff. Cheers.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.