• NOS4A2

Then it’s their stupidity that led them to do it, not the words of someone else.
  • Tobias
    Then it’s their stupidity that led them to do it, not the words of someone else.NOS4A2

That is legally not quite sound. If I persuade someone to kill another human being I am held accountable for instigation, or maybe conspiracy. Words do things NOS we know that since Austin...
  • NOS4A2

Slavery was once legally sound. Philosophically, it’s magical thinking. Speaking cause little more than the movement of air. Speech is an act but words are not actors.
  • M777
    Then it’s their stupidity that led them to do it, not the words of someone else.NOS4A2
    Hm, not sure why you don't want to hold your opponents accountable. )
  • Tobias
    Shooting a gun causes little more than moving a piece of lead... I do not see how that is relevant. Speech is an act, words are not actors and neither are bullets. Those who shoot the bullets are actors and those who speak the words are too. And yes, words can sometimes instigate crimes. Your view is slightly outlandish, though I like the bravado with which you present it. Anyway, take care all.
  • M777
    Inducing unhealthy behavior, be it shooting someone or a child getting chemically castrated, etc.
  • NOS4A2

Bullets can tear through a person’s body. Shooting someone is justifiably a criminal act. Words possess no such force, have zero connection to another’s actions, and thus speaking cannot be justified as criminal act. I think your view is magical thinking.

Anyways, have a good one. Be free.
  • NOS4A2

I appreciate free speech too much to punish someone for speaking.
  • M777
    That's why republicans seem to be losing.
  • NOS4A2

Good. Repubs are equally as evil, in my mind.
  • M777
    I would say not as much, at least they are not transing kids and such.
  • ssu
    Words possess no such force, have zero connection to another’s actions, and thus speaking cannot be justified as criminal act.NOS4A2
    So uh, an officer ordering the killing of civilians or prisoners of war isn't a war crime?

One should remember that behind every eccentricity of our time there are those actual and obvious crimes that have happened and should be obvious to everybody, the events to what referred to. Perhaps those kinds of accusations (like hate speech) are just hurled at people at the present toxic debate environment, but that doesn't change the actual real crimes of incitement.
  • NOS4A2

They are crimes according to some species of legalism, but they wouldn’t be if people refused to do what they were ordered. So despite the legal theories the fact remains: whether people obey or disobey an order is not determined by the words.
  • Jackson
    Trump spoke to a crowd wearing military body armor that it was time to march on the Capitol.
    Legal prosecution will show he was planning this.
  • praxis
    They are crimes according to some species of legalism, but they wouldn’t be if people refused to do what they were ordered. So despite the legal theories the fact remains: whether people obey or disobey an order is not determined by the words.NOS4A2

People will obey some words but not others, so obedience is certainly partly determined by the words.
  • Relativist
    Bullets can tear through a person’s body. Shooting someone is justifiably a criminal act. Words possess no such force, have zero connection to another’s actions, and thus speaking cannot be justified as criminal act. I think your view is magical thinking.NOS4A2
    I'm sympathetic to your position, but it's false to claim that one person's words have zero connection to another's actions.
  • Tobias
    I would say not as much, at least they are not transing kids and such.M777

Are people transing kids?!? Who has been teaching you about the world?
  • NOS4A2

What is the connection?
  • Tate
    I occasionally come across people who are still devoted to Trump. Many of them are otherwise intelligent people. I haven't asked any of them for an explanation.
  • Relativist
    What is the connection?NOS4A2
    Words/information cause reactions. That's why advertising works.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I'm sympathetic to your position, but it's false to claim that one person's words have zero connection to another's actions.Relativist
    What is the connection?NOS4A2

Read Edward Bernays (the father of public relations) and Ernest Dichter (the father of motivational research) if you think subtle powerful subliminal words only work on the dumb. They work on us all.
  • M777
    If the left aren't for transing kids, why such squealing about the Florida's 'wait til 8' bill?
  • Agent Smith
    Trump just needs some training and he'll do well! :snicker:
  • Tobias
    What is the content of that bill? Waiting until 8th grade or something before talking about homosexuality? Well, that is simple, because it arbitrarily stigmatizes one kind of sexual identity. Not wanting to discriminate against being gay does not mean you want to make children transsexual. If I am against a bill that would state that we do not discuss dog ownership until 8th grade, do I actively want to put dogs in every household? Of course not.
  • NOS4A2

Words/information cause reactions. That's why advertising works.

I don’t go out and buy something whenever I see an advertisement for it.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I don’t go out and buy something whenever I see an advertisement for it.NOS4A2

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. — Keyser Söze
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I don’t go out and buy something whenever I see an advertisement for it.NOS4A2

"The reason that [people] think advertising doesn't "work" is that they think advertisements are trying to make them do something immediately."

Why Good Advertising Works (Even When You Think It Doesn't)
  • NOS4A2

Remember when it was the parent’s job to teach their children about sexuality?
  • M777
    Oh yes, those were the times! :halo:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.