• Sir2u
    Not "Do undo others before they undo you"?

Yes Banno, that probably is better suited to the times in which we find ourselves living.
  • Sam26
    Rules are for others, not for me.
  • jkop
    So... what is the first rule of Philosophy Club?Banno

If a club is an association of people united by a common interest or goal, then Philosophy Club is a club whose members are not united by a common interest or goal, a club without members. Its first rule might, therefore, be that it's not a club.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Rules are for others, not for me.Sam26

Rule #2 no Sam26's only Sam27's
  • anonymous66
    How about, Rule No. 1: Remember, we're on a mission to make the world a better place.
  • Sam26
    I'll change my name. X-)
  • S
    How about, Rule No. 1: Remember, we're on a mission to make the world a better place.anonymous66

No, the first rule of Philosophy Club should be cats.
  • TimeLine
    No, the first rule of Philosophy Club should be cats.Sapientia

Are you saying philosophers have no loyalty unless you feed it and enjoy killing wildlife?
  • jkop
    A club for cats on mats.
  • Luke
    Philosophy Club membership is restricted only to those who are not members of themselves.
  • WiseMoron
    Can only wash with philosophy's club's pink bar of soap if you put it up your ass. That way we all share ideas that came out of our asses.
  • Janus
    The first rule is that the rule that can be spoken is not the first rule.Baden

The first rule is that there cannot be a first rule that speaks about the impossibility of speaking the first rule.

This is because any transgression of that would not be a self-referentially paradoxical statement that is true if false and false if true, but would rather be merely self contradictory.

Thus there may be unspoken rules, but no unspeakable rules.

PS. There is a different sense in which the first rule of Monty Python's philosophy club (where all the members are named 'Bruce') is unspeakable in today's cultural climate; and this is a politically correct sense of unspeakability. Does anyone remember it?
  • Janus

Philosophy club's membership is restricted to those members who do not have active members?
  • Janus

Is this a form of brainwashing?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.