• Maw
    just say you want to take our guns already.Moses

Works for me
  • Maw
    I would possibly be open to keep 2A on a very strict originalist interpretation, that is, the only gun someone could own would be a replica of a gun comminly used during the late 18th century, like a Brown Bess or something that takes 30 seconds to load and fire with a 50% accuracy at 300 feet.
  • Benkei
    1) how much more extensive? in what way are our current background checks insufficient? the texas shooter had no criminal record nor documented mental health issues. should everyone who wants to buy a gun get a psychologist sent to their homes for an evaluation?Moses

You're asking the wrong guy since I'm not a US citizen and think widespread gun ownership is idiotic. I think only hunters and cops should own guns. Everybody else that have them for sport can leave them at the local firing range and they get to own one gun at a time. There are no reasons to own them otherwise and certainly don't need to keep them at home.
  • Tzeentch
    There are no reasons to own them ...Benkei

Given the actions of governments world-wide over the past few years I would beg to differ.

Tyranny is not something we can look back at and marvel over. The events of the past years have shown that government still is the foremost threat to peace and humanity, as it always has been.

Force is the language of tyrants, force is the language of government, and all peoples who would wish to remain free should speak it.
  • Mikie
    Given the actions of governments world-wide over the past few years I would beg to differ.Tzeentch

And owning an assault weapon will do nothing to stop it anyway. This is just another bullshit excuse for the grotesque amount of guns in the US.

Stop repeating gun manufacturer propaganda.

We have more shootings because we have more guns. The manufactured “debate” about this is over. Guns should be heavily regulated. Bringing back the assault weapons ban would be a start.
  • universeness
    America simply cannot keep losing children to maniacs armed with assault weapons.
    They have to do something drastic and new and permanent!
    They have to face the illegitimate power the gun lobby has.
    Is it not the case that per head of population there are more guns in Canada.
    Why do they not have as many difficulties with guns as America does?
    Surely Americans must look at western Europe and see that a gun-totting citizenry is not the way to go.
  • Tzeentch
    And owning an assault weapon will do nothing to stop it anyway.Xtrix

It is exactly what would stop it.

If government goes too far, they'd have to contend with a population that is already armed.

Waging a large-scale counter-insurgency on its own soil, against its own people? That'll be the end of whatever empire is foolish enough to try.
  • Michael
    Firearms are leading cause of death among U.S. youth

Firearms are now the leading cause of death for children and adolescents 0-19 years of age, with a staggering 83 percent increase in youth firearm fatalities over the past decade, according to a commentary published in Lancet Child and Adolescent Health. Nearly two-thirds of youth firearm deaths were from homicides. Strikingly, Black youth had an unprecedented 40 percent increase in firearm fatalities between 2019 to 2020.
  • Isaac
    It is exactly what would stop it.

If government goes too far, they'd have to contend with a population that is already armed.

Waging a large-scale counter-insurgency on its own soil, against its own people? That'll be the end of whatever empire is foolish enough to try.
    Tzeentch

You've simply asserted the 'large scale' without any basis whatsoever. Why would it be 'large scale', on what possible grounds might you believe a 'large scale' revolt of gun owners that didn't also include large numbers of the police and the military? It's just a fantasy.

You're taking a known risk to thousands of children's lives to secure the possibility of something you've no grounds to think would ever happen or even be required. It's madness.
  • Streetlight
    At some point, when your whole identity is nothing but the fantasy of playing rebel freedom-fighter from your TV couch, you will literally let classrooms of children be shot to death so that one can still maintain that fantasy in their head. These people want to role-play victims so hard, they will let any number of real life victims drop dead so they LARP about being some Hollywood 'insurgent'. May they all commit suicide.
  • NOS4A2
    How do the neutered propose to protect themselves without guns? They call upon others who do have guns.
  • Streetlight
    As if right on cue, the fascist drops in to fantasize about being a victim.
  • Tzeentch
    Why would it be 'large scale', ...Isaac

You don't think people would be prompted to resist against government tyranny? As people have throughout history?

It's just a fantasy.Isaac

It's you who is living in a fantasy, I'm afraid. A fantasy in which government is man's best friend, of which we have nothing to fear. It is not. It has been and always will be the greatest enemy to peace and humanity.

Implicit in your views seems to be "the end of history" fantasy. That we've finally arrived at a point in time where large-scale corruption, war and atrocity are a thing of the past. That "man has figured it out".

If you had asked me 20 years ago, I might've been swayed by that idea. Today, not so much.

Force is the language of tyrants, force is the language of government, and all peoples who would wish to remain free should speak it.
  • Baden

Can't imagine being more neutered than being so scared all the time I have to carry a gun everywhere.
  • NOS4A2

I just can’t imagine being so trusting as to put faith in others with guns to protect my life.
  • Baden

If trained soldiers came to your door, you would shit your pants and surrender immediately. We know it, you know it, so no idea who you think the act is convincing here.
  • Streetlight
    We just watched a bunch of "trained" people with guns shit themselves and enable the murder of classrooms of children but I'm sure this internet fash monkey will do much better.
  • Baden

The police don't carry guns here because they don't need them and neither do we because we don't have a gun culture. So, it's not an issue.
  • Tzeentch
    Bla bla, willful failure to represent my position properly is just a tacit admission of defeat on your part.
  • Isaac
    You don't think people would be prompted to resist against government tyranny? As people have throughout history?Tzeentch

I do indeed think that. What I object to in your argument is the idea that if a government ever became that tyrannical it would nevertheless utterly retain 100% obedient control over the military and the police. It's a position without any grounds or precedent.

It's you who is living in a fantasy, I'm afraid. A fantasy in which government is man's best friend, of which we have nothing to fear.Tzeentch

It's nothing to do with what we have to fear. I think we have very good reason to be utterly terrified of our governments, I seriously believe they (and their corporate masters) might just bring about the end of civilisation.

What I object to about your argument is the pretty loathsome idea that the absolutely miniscule chance that an armed 'people's militia' will prevent such an outcome is worth the thousands of children's lives which must be sacrificed to maintain it as an option.
  • Michael
    You don't think people would be prompted to resist against government tyranny? As people have throughout history?Tzeentch

I don't think a hypothetical tyrannical government is so likely that the current situation in the USA is a worthy sacrifice.
  • Tzeentch
    What I object to about your argument is the pretty loathsome idea that the absolutely miniscule chance that an armed 'people's militia' will prevent such an outcome ...Isaac

I'd say history and in recent times the track record of the United States military (the world's most advanced military) speak to the contrary.

Peasants with rifles are apparently not so easy to get rid of, no matter how much barbarism one is willing to resort to.
  • Streetlight
    Lol these fucking people think they are in a video game.
  • Moses
    There are no reasons to own them otherwise and certainly don't need to keep them at home.Benkei

do you think your position would change if the crime rate was 10x higher than it is around you? or if there were break ins and shootings in apartments/residences near yours? how about if you were a member of a marginalized population that has historically been the target of hate crimes?
  • Maw
    "How about if everything was different would you change your mind then"
  • Moses

well that's kinda what we're dealing with because the us is a multitude of different cultures with different levels of crime and poverty.
  • Streetlight
    "What we're dealing with is this fantasy I made up in my head can't wait till more real life children die"

Turns out gun nuts are just pussies scared of the shadows in their own heads. And if children have to die for them, so be it.
  • Moses
    you know you're just stupid. like very stupid.

massachusetts is not indiana which is not texas.

learn the fucking difference you dumb foreigner. crime rates, cultures, and poverty levels differ drastically as do gun laws.
  • Streetlight
    You know you like dead kids like lots of dead kids

Because you're afraid to give up the Call of Duty simulator in your head.
  • Maw
    You seem to be confusing our opinion of banning guns outright with banning guns exclusively for non-criminals.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment