• Paine

Revealing comment.
  • AmadeusD
    False. It was taken up as a slogan by a rather detrimental portion of the male populace of the USA for a short period. That said, this also contributes to the ledger you mention lol.

I don’t know if I condone getting drunk and slapping women. Not a good look.NOS4A2

Yeah, wtf are you talking about my dude. You 'don't know' if you condone this? What's hte hold up?
  • Baden
    Yeah, wtf are you talking about my dude. You 'don't know' if you condone this? What's hte hold up?AmadeusD

I was about to say the same thing...
  • Baden
    In fact I thought it was hilarious.NOS4A2

You thought Trump "grabbing women by the pussy" was hilarious or that he said that or what? And what's hilarious about it?
  • Paine
    False. It was taken up as a slogan by a rather detrimental portion of the male populace of the USA for a short period.AmadeusD

I had no idea. I must be using the wrong locker rooms.
  • NOS4A2

I’m not sure he grabbed women by the pussy. The phrase “You can do anything” only means “I did everything” in clown world. What was hilarious, however, was the speech, how it was used, and the reaction. Like I said: clown world.

But there is nothing funny about slapping a woman in a drunken rampage.
  • Baden

Thanks for clarifying.
  • NOS4A2
    From my view the federal response to the recent hurricane and flooding has been obscene, another indication of its wasteful inefficiency. Out of money and out of time. While Biden and Kamala are busy with more important things, like funding foreign wars and campaigning for power, the people who live there are largely left to fend for themselves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/02/us/fema-floods-north-carolina.html
  • 180 Proof
    Today in Trumpenfreide

fu45 :clap:
    https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-job-growth-surges-september-unemployment-rate-falls-41-2024-10-04/

An anti-fascist vote is NOT an endorsement for the Democratic party. — Cornel West, 2020

>>> Roevember 32
  • Mr Bee
    I remember when the right used to be all about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and defunding big bad government institutions like FEMA. I mean, they still are all about that, but you know...
  • Paine

The Trump team plays both sides of that:

Trump FEMA Claim Debunked: Agency Not Running Out Of Money Because Of Migrants.

In the report:

Congress determines how much money goes to FEMA’s disaster fund, and the fund faces issues after lawmakers declined to allocate additional funding for FEMA’s efforts in the stopgap funding bill it passed last month, only extending FEMA’s existing funding level and allowing it to draw from $20 billion in funds more quickly.

It was the MAGA minions, of course, who pushed for that.
  • creativesoul
    In fact I thought it was hilarious.
    — NOS4A2

You thought Trump "grabbing women by the pussy" was hilarious or that he said that or what? And what's hilarious about it?
    Baden

Some find the glorification of being able to use one's status as a means or excuse for committing sexual assault hilarious... evidently.

The problem with mental health care is a part of the deconstruction of the hospitals and other state institutions that has been done under the idea that such work could be redirected to community level support. This process has been under way for decades. The fallout is perhaps now forcing itself into a wider public awareness. To be clear, this does not resolve into any particular political agenda. It is an intellectual failure of our society as a whole.Paine

Yup. A concerted effort began in the early seventies to manufacture consent to eliminate social programs meant to help the less fortunate people in society, and lower taxes on the wealthiest.

It was tremendously successful and is still in effect. Hence, loads of Americans are still convinced to vote for people who vilify social welfare programs, public schools, publicly owned entities, organized labor, American manufacturing, self-sufficient practices, and the like. A commonly occurring theme is to treat the US government as though it is a privately own business. You hear people talk all the time about it. Hence, it was part of the groundwork laid for Trump. People believed a good businessman would be a good president by virtue of having the skills necessary. Well... it's a completely different skillset, for starters, nevermind the serious questioning regarding whether or not Trump id s good businessman. Plenty believed he was/is. The US government is not in the business of being profitable. Etc. All this amounts to a vote against what's in their own best interest.

Welcome to an America that once had the funds and infrastructure to take care of those incapable of taking care of themselves, of those who were mentally ill in ways that they needed caregivers... but stopped doing so and gave the resources back to the richest of Americans who could not care less about less fortunate people and mentally ill folk having no safety net. Let em loose. I don't live around em.
  • NOS4A2

Looks like they were right. From what I can see the only people saving anyone is private, state, and local people. Remember Katrina?
  • Mr Bee
    Not surprisingly, what you want to see and what is the case are two very different things.
  • NOS4A2

Then it should be easy to show me a photo or video of FEMA doing something.
  • Mr Bee
    And it should be easy for you to look it up yourself but you apparently prefer to stay misinformed. Can't help people who are unwilling to help themselves.
  • Mikie
    , loads of Americans are still convinced to vote for people who vilify social welfare programs, public schools, publicly owned entities, organized labor, American manufacturing, self-sufficient practices, and the like.creativesoul

:up: :up:
  • NOS4A2

And it should be easy for you to look it up yourself but you apparently prefer to stay misinformed. Can't help people who are unwilling to help themselves.

I did. Very easy. It’s not looking good. It’s starting to look like Katrina. Remember that?
  • Paine

Your link failed.
  • Paine

It won't mean much to the Trump pooper scooper but here is an update:

FEMA deploys to rough terrain after Helene as it faces criticism, fights misinformation.
  • Paine

How do these problems fit into your libertarian vibe that nothing can be done by the state?
  • NOS4A2

Nothing can be done by the state? What do you mean?
  • Paine

Your often repeated idea of the "state" is that it is a shared misconception rather that an existing thing. You are now asking that illusion to perform better.
  • NOS4A2

FEMA is an illusion? Jesus christ.
  • Paine

That is not what I said. You have said the state is an illusion..
  • NOS4A2

Any quote or context?
  • Paine

I could do that sort of thing, given what you have said in the past.
    Your lack of interest in supporting any of that stuff for the sake of forcing me to repeat it is not the mark of a gentleman.
  • NOS4A2

I don’t remember saying that and I think you’re imagining things. If I’m wrong I’d like to know what I said and in what context. Forgive me.
  • Paine

You have the same resources I have on the site. Use them if you are genuinely curious about past interchanges.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.