• Corvus
    When one is dreaming in sleep, one sees various objects in his mind. Yet the objects visible in the dreams don't exist in real world. One may see people one never met or go to places in one's dreams which don't exist in real world.

One flies in an aircraft in the night sky in one's dream during sleep, which don't exist in real world, yet one sees it in his mind vividly.

So where do the images come from? Does this phenomena implies that human perceptions could occur without actual existence of objects? Do human perceive things all differently?
    Can humans perceive objects which don't exist?
  • Philosophim
    The images come from similar parts of your brain that process light. Think about this. Your eyes are simply a lens in which light floods through. Your brain interprets that light, adds intention, dimensionality, and a sense of reality to it. Then 'you' see it. Dreams are a memory of past visual events being sorted through. A person born blind doesn't visually dream, because they have no memory of anything visual.
    And by blind, I mean completely blind, not merely legally blind.

Of course, its a memory, not a 'live stream'. So it can be experienced in a hazy or unrealistic matter. And we have the gift to take experiences in our memory and shift them around into 'potentials'. So I can imagine a horse with a horn on its head. This is the source of creativity and problem solving. To fix a problem you don't know the answer to, you often need to piece things together in ways that you haven't observed before.
  • noAxioms
    yet one sees it in his mind vividlyCorvus
    Maybe you do, but there is no vivid in my dreams. I strive for information, and find it lacking in dreams, although I often don't notice. For instance, I cannot read anything, because it is an attempt to acquire information that isn't there, and making up fiction is unacceptable.

Maybe others dream differently and more vividly, and have far less trouble accepting made-up stories as fact.

The mind seems to create a sort of subconscious model of the world from either sensory or memory sources, but both present that model to the conscious parts, active both when awake and in dreams. Think of it as a sort of shared section running different input subroutines.

You seem to say largely the same thing as I just attempted.

I even got an injury from a dream of fighting an orca, something to add to my list of injuries from animals that sound hostile but were not actually.
  • javi2541997

Interesting posts and points from you all. I think what Corvus had in mind is very important, and I agree with him that while dreaming, we often see people and places that are not known to us. But why does this happen? NoAxioms states that we can't attempt to acquire information that is not there (in the dreams). Honestly, I think that the way we could approach the complex world of dreams (and nightmares!) is using a bit of imagination rather than explaining or arguing whether the gold spoon exists in the non-existent world or not. My basic point: I believe the two worlds (dreamlike and real) exist.

The people and objects located in them are accessories, and they pass through, but without altering the order. We have to keep in mind an important feature, and it is the fact that I exist in both worlds. Therefore, if I am conscious of myself in dreams and reality, they are existent worlds to me. Dreams are just more complex and blurred, but plausible. It is not possible to see a clock melting like in Dali's painting. But who am I to deny the possibility of this in my dreams? If clocks melt in my dreams, this is at least real in one part of my two worlds.
  • Corvus
    Dreams are a memory of past visual events being sorted through. A person born blind doesn't visually dream, because they have no memory of anything visual.
    And by blind, I mean completely blind, not merely legally blind.
    Philosophim

Interesting point. But if the images in dreams are from the memories, why some folks see images that they have never come across in their lives, or meet people they cannot recognise and never met, or go to the places they have never been in their whole lives before?
  • Corvus
    How about when we perceive silence, emptiness in space or time passing? The objects of our perception actually don't exist in material level. However, we still perceive them.
  • javi2541997
    I agree. Time and space are even experienced in dreams. I usually have a frequent dream where I am in a bar with a classmate of mine. This bar no longer exists, and I hadn't seen that girl for years. When I dream about this, I am aware that I am in the past. I am experiencing memories and a sweet sense of nostalgia. Time could not exist on a material level, but it is an important feature of what we consider real and dreams. But my point is that if I dream about the past, this is not necessarily leading me to a deception. So, we have to be careful of using these frames as a notion of reality.
  • Patterner
    For instance, I cannot read anything, because it is an attempt to acquire information that isn't there, and making up fiction is unacceptable.noAxioms
    I also cannot read in my dreams. I assume I'm simply lacking in imagination, cognitive ability, or a combination of the two. In my life, I've had dozens of dreams with tornados. (I've had more dreams with snakes.) I've always wanted to see a tornado, so am always happy in these dreams. Then I wake up to disappointment.

Aftet having had so many of these dreams, my dream-self began to realize it was a dream, and not get hopeful. It dawned on me that I can't read in my dreams. Now, whenever I see a tornado, I look for something to read. If I can't make out what it says, I'm dreaming, and don't get excited about the tornado.

Unfortunately, on several occasions, I've managed to trick myself into thinking I could read. When I woke up, disappointed again, I realized I wasn't reading anything. Just gibberish, sometimes more weird scribbles than actual letters.

I'm also very annoyed that, on several occasions, when I realized I was dreaming, it occured to me that I can do anything I want, but I really couldn't. I try to fly, but can't get going. So I wake up doubly annoyed.
  • noAxioms
    A person born blind doesn't visually dream, because they have no memory of anything visual.Philosophim
    Makes you wonder what Helen Keller dreams were like, especially before communication was established. Dreams of a person with only memory of touch and such for reference experience.

while dreaming, we often see people and places that are not known to usjavi2541997
    My experience is that most characters are unknown to me, but I already know that in the dream, and I already know the people that I know, meaning that I don't look at people and suddenly recognize them. I don't really remember looking at people at all because for the most part, it doesn't work. It may be different for other people, especially the people-people that are good at remembering names and faces the way I am not. My dreams are pretty abstract, and I can sometimes fly without aid in them, and other times I cannot.

I believe the two worlds (dreamlike and real) exist.javi2541997
    I would agree, but I use a definition of 'exists' that allows both to exist. Others using a different definition would perhaps say that the former does not exist, nor maybe neither.

But if the images in dreams are from the memories, why some folks see images that they have never come across in their livesCorvus
    The unrecognized things usually still make some sort of sense. They're the sort of thing that we might find ourselves experiencing, especially if you lead a life that often experiences new places. One would expect to dream of experiencing yet more new things.

when we perceive silence, emptiness in spaceCorvus
    Funny, but I have little recall of explicit dreams of sounds. Sound carries so much information to me, that for it to be in my dream, it would have to convey something that it cannot, so more often than not, my dreams don't have a significant soundtrack.
    Not sure how time passage is directly perceived. They've put people in sensory deprivation environments, and then ask them later how long they had been in there, and almost all answer a far larger amount of time than what really passed. This says that the sense of time passage is mostly due to external senses.

I've always wanted to see a tornado, so am always happy in these dreams.Patterner
    I've had two real ones come right at me (same place, same path, 16 years apart) but I never saw them, being bunkered. I have died a few times doing violent things, but I don't recall a tornado being one of them. I had almost hourly nightmares when I was about 6, and those where repetitive, predictable, and utterly horrible. I occasionally do reruns of old remembered dreams, but you could keep the nightmare
    ones, each of which I had named.

Aftet having had so many of these dreams, my dream-self began to realize it was a dream, and not get hopeful. It dawned on me that I can't read in my dreams. Now, whenever I see a tornado, I look for something to read.Patterner
    This doesn't always work for me. If I'm deep in, I'm too stupid to run tests to see if I'm dreaming (pinch me). If I think of the test, I already know the answer. Flying is pretty easy if you know you're dreaming, but not so easy if you don't know.

The weirdest ones are experiences that put memories in your head that are not marked 'dream'. Maybe days later you suddenly realize that it was just a dream and say your car wasn't actually totaled.
  • Patterner
    I had almost hourly nightmares when I was about 6, and those where repetitive, predictable, and utterly horrible. I occasionally do reruns of old remembered dreams, but you could keep the nightmare ones, each of which I had named.noAxioms
    Sheesh. I've had a couple recurring dreams. Rather bland, but kind of nice to visit on occasion. Not sure I've ever had what would qualify as an actual nightmare.

Flying is pretty easy if you know you're dreaming, but not so easy if you don't know.noAxioms
    I always know how, remembering how I've managed in past dreams. Just freestyle swimming through the air. But I can't make it work when I know I'm dreaming and should be able to. Just as well, I suppose. Only very rarely have my flying dreams been satisfactory. I'm always running into power lines, no matter how high I go. I could be a mile up, and still hitting them. :rofl:

The weirdest ones are experiences that put memories in your head that are not marked 'dream'. Maybe days later you suddenly realize that it was just a dream and say your car wasn't actually totaled.noAxioms
    That's fascinating. I don't remember that happening. I think there's a scifi/fantasy story with some aliens that communicate by implanting memories into your mind. You remember a conversation that didn't actually happen, but you now have the information they wanted to give you.
  • jkop
    So where do the images come from?Corvus

Our empathic ability. It's the ability to mentally construct, visualize, and actually feel things that we are not directly exposed to. So if you know what it feels like to see things, then you probably have the ability to evoke the same or similar feeling when you don't see anything. The same areas in the brain are activated when you see something and when you imagine seeing it.
  • Philosophim
    Interesting point. But if the images in dreams are from the memories, why some folks see images that they have never come across in their lives, or meet people they cannot recognise and never met, or go to the places they have never been in their whole lives before?Corvus

Because the human mind has the capability for creativity. Creativity often comes about by taking bits and pieces that belong to one thing, and then applying them to another. Think of a unicorn for example. Its a horse with a horn on its head. Now make a duocorn. That's a horse with two horns on its head. Keep going. That's why you can dream of things you've never seen before.
  • javi2541997
    Think of a unicorn for example. Its a horse with a horn on its head. Now make a duocorn. That's a horse with two horns on its head. Keep going. That's why you can dream of things you've never seen before.Philosophim

Well, in your example, we could agree that we saw the unicorn before because it is a combination of two previous existent elements in our world. A horse and unicorn. I think it would be interesting to dream something you didn't see before and our creativity cannot process.
  • night912
    Interesting point. But if the images in dreams are from the memories, why some folks see images that they have never come across in their lives, or meet people they cannot recognise and never met, or go to the places they have never been in their whole lives before?

One explanation for this is that the whole image in a dream is not an exact image from memory. That image could be amalgamation of several images. For example, you subconsciously take different parts of a face from several people that you know and blend it all up, resulting with a new face that you've never seen before.
  • Corvus
    One explanation for this is that the whole image in a dream is not an exact image from memory. That image could be amalgamation of several images. For example, you subconsciously take different parts of a face from several people that you know and blend it all up, resulting with a new face that you've never seen before.night912

Can different images be amalgamated into totally different another image? Who do you get if you amalgamate images of Elon Musk with Bill Gates, Taylor Swift and Madonna? Why would you do that?
  • RussellA
    Who do you get if you amalgamate images of Elon Musk with Bill Gates.................................Why would you do that?Corvus

To scare children on Halloween!?

0f66f04be99fe8a718577cbb1b906f6ab09c399f-2000x2000.webp

https://openart.ai/discovery/sd-1006000370197221428
  • Nils Loc
    I believe the two worlds (dreamlike and real) exist.javi2541997

But this is not true with respect to consensus reality. Also the physical world, which everybody would agree "exists" because it is self-evident, has a relative (illusory/dreamlike) appearance to whatever organism is conscious of it.

We're always inevitably going to hit our heads against the old wall of the "world-in-itself", as if it could/should exist without the perspective of the local observer. As a networking species of consensus making, we will always fall back on the common sense notions for knowing the difference between what is meant by an illusion and the thing that the illusion references in a third-party verifiable world.

To scare children on Halloween!?RussellA

You might be scaring the "adults" too.
  • javi2541997
    It is true that common sense and illusion can interfere with dreams. Our minds—maybe imposed by social frameworks—always try to have a notion of reality, and it is sad how we discarded the value of dreams for this reason. If I dream about a past experience, I wouldn't say it is an illusion. It is just a memory who is showing up again in a dream. Nonetheless, if I dream with non-existing things, I guess I would have to label it as an illusion. Yet I wouldn't say that all dreams lead me to illusional notions.
  • Corvus
    But my point is that if I dream about the past, this is not necessarily leading me to a deception. So, we have to be careful of using these frames as a notion of reality.javi2541997

Definitely not.   You have your memory to back up your dreams have factual coherence from the past.
    Time and space are regarded as external entities by scientists.  But your point seems to indicate they can be internal (mental) entities private to you.  Could it be related to Kant?
  • Corvus
    That's a very creative image. But I don't see TS and Madonna in it at all.
  • Nils Loc
    Yet I wouldn't say that all dreams lead me to illusional notions.javi2541997

Often and recently what occurs in my dreams are supernormal stimului which refer directly to the normal everyday world, and just emerge out of interior worries.

In the real world I am a custodian of a meditation center and a Japanese inspired garden.

In the dream world:

I am the sole custodian of a miniature city (think of the Vatican) with endless water terraces. The subterranean pumping network is endless and so are the levers and buttons. It is altogether too much for a single person to take care of (I get lost). As a lone individual I cannot contain or control the pilgrims who come to the city and treat it as if it were a tourist attraction, who transgress every rule that they were blind to from eagerness to see. The crowd is too big and chaotic to learn how to approach the place.

At other times:

The miniature city/state is completely empty and I go in search of company I cannot find, getting lost.
  • javi2541997
    But your point seems to indicate they can be internal (mental) entities private to you.  Could it be related to Kant?Corvus

Yes, it is a Kantian point of view. I know that scientists claim that time and space are external entities, but as I said previously, I tried to explain that my argument was not under that frame but another perspective. The basic premise is that we try to determine a basic sense or notion, and for this reason we tend to discard dreams for several reasons. Nonetheless, we usually dream with past experiences, people, and places, and I wouldn't name these dreams as 'illusions' because I literally experienced this in the past. Otherwise, I had to admit that what I lived in the past is somehow not plausible.

Your dreams are interesting, and they have a common set: you custody a place. So, we can say that your dream has a bit of coherence at least. For some complex reasons that are very difficult to explain because dreams are puzzled, you also custody a city. Sometimes is full of elements (water, terraces, subterranean networks, etc.), and others is empty. This has meaning, I am sure. Because yourself is not changing in the dream but the place or scenario. According to your dreams, wouldn't you accept that there could be two realities? Yourself as a custodian of a meditation centre and then as a custodian of those dreamlike cities, which could lack common sense, but I wouldn't label them illusional.
  • RussellA
    That's a very creative image. But I don't see TS and Madonna in it at all.Corvus

Can't you see Madonna in the eyes and a nose strikingly similar to that of Taylor Swift?

Yes, we are both perceiving an object that doesn't exist.
  • Nils Loc
    your dream has a bit of coherencejavi2541997

It has full coherence in the context of my personal experience. It is just an exaggeration of my worries in the mundane realm.

According to your dreams, wouldn't you accept that there could be two realities?javi2541997

One reality, two reality, three reality... I'll defer to whatever the consensus is on this as ultimately I don't think it makes much of a difference.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.