• Benkei
    I think it's clear Ukraine has been a focal point of geopolitical tensions between Russia and the West for at least two decades.

A few key events:

• NATO Enlargement (1999, 2004): Russia expressed opposition to NATO's expansion eastward, viewing it as a threat to its security. Russian officials argued that NATO enlargement undermined the balance of power in Europe and encroached on Russia's sphere of influence. However, Russia's ability to influence these decisions was limited, especially considering that the newly independent states in Eastern Europe were eager to join NATO as a means of enhancing their own security and sovereignty.
    • Missile Defense Plans (2007): Russia strongly opposed the US plans to deploy missile defense systems in Eastern Europe, particularly in Poland and the Czech Republic. Russian officials argued that these missile defense installations would undermine Russia's nuclear deterrent capabilities and upset the strategic balance in Europe. In response, Russia threatened to deploy Iskander missiles to its western enclave of Kaliningrad and warned of potential military countermeasures.
    • "Reset" of US-Russian Relations (2009): While the "reset" of relations between the United States and Russia initially led to a thaw in tensions, Russia remained skeptical of US intentions, particularly regarding missile defense plans. Russian leaders continued to express concerns about the potential threat posed by the missile defense system to Russia's security interests.
    • New Missile Defense Plan (2010): Russia reacted cautiously to the announcement of the European Phased Adaptive Approach (EPAA) and the revised missile defense plans. While the EPAA was seen as a somewhat more flexible and mobile approach compared to the previous plans, Russia continued to express reservations about the deployment of missile defense systems near its borders.
    • NATO-Russia Missile Defense Talks (2011): Russia engaged in discussions with NATO on missile defense cooperation but ultimately failed to reach a breakthrough. Despite some attempts at dialogue, Russia remained suspicious of NATO's intentions and continued to view the missile defense system as a potential threat.
    • Deployment of Missile Defense Elements (2013): Russia criticized the deployment of missile defense elements under the EPAA, particularly the Aegis-equipped ships in the Mediterranean and radar installations in Turkey. Russian officials argued that these deployments increased the proximity of missile defense systems to Russia's borders and could potentially undermine its security.
    • Ukrainian Presidential Election (2014): Russia expressed skepticism about the legitimacy of the Ukrainian presidential election, particularly in the context of the ongoing conflict in Eastern Ukraine. Moscow criticized the Ukrainian government's handling of the election and raised concerns about the treatment of Russian-speaking populations in Ukraine.
    • War in Eastern Ukraine: Russia denied direct involvement in the conflict in Eastern Ukraine, despite accusations from Ukraine and Western countries that it was providing support to the separatist forces. Moscow portrayed the conflict as a civil war fueled by grievances among Russian-speaking populations in Eastern Ukraine and emphasized the need for a political solution to the crisis.
    • MH17 Plane Crash: Russia initially denied any involvement in the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 and suggested alternative theories about the cause of the crash. Moscow criticized the investigation into the incident, alleging bias and lack of transparency. However, subsequent investigations by international authorities, including the Joint Investigation Team (JIT), implicated Russian-backed separatists and pointed to the use of a Russian-supplied missile system in the downing of the plane.
    • Minsk Agreements: Russia publicly supported the Minsk Agreements as a framework for resolving the conflict in Eastern Ukraine and called for their full implementation. However, Moscow also accused Ukraine of failing to fulfill its obligations under the agreements and highlighted alleged ceasefire violations by Ukrainian forces. Russia's support for the Minsk process was seen by some as a way to shape the terms of a potential settlement while maintaining leverage over Ukraine.
    • Sanctions Against Russia: Russia condemned the imposition of economic sanctions by the United States, the European Union, and other Western countries in response to its actions in Ukraine. Moscow characterized the sanctions as unjustified and illegitimate and retaliated with its own countermeasures, including restrictions on food imports from Western countries and bans on certain individuals and entities.
    • Continued Tensions and Ceasefire Violations: Russia called for renewed efforts to implement the ceasefire agreements in Eastern Ukraine and emphasized the importance of dialogue and diplomacy in resolving the conflict. However, Moscow also criticized what it perceived as provocative actions by Ukraine and its Western allies, such as military exercises and deployments near Russia's borders.

Given the above, from Russia's perspective, NATO's expansion eastward, including discussions about Ukraine's potential membership, posed a direct security threat to Russia's interests (regardless of whether we agree; that's their view as the capability's of NATO can also be used aggressively). Russia views NATO enlargement as encroaching on its traditional sphere of influence and potentially undermining its security by bringing the alliance closer to its borders. The prospect of Ukraine joining NATO was particularly sensitive for Russia due to Ukraine's historical, cultural, and strategic significance.

Russia's actions in Ukraine can be seen in the context of its previous intervention in Georgia in 2008. Following Georgia's aspirations to join NATO and escalating tensions in the breakaway regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia, Russia intervened militarily, leading to a brief war with Georgia. Russia's actions in Georgia demonstrated its willingness to use military force to prevent former Soviet republics from aligning with NATO and assert its influence in the region.

The annexation of Crimea occurred against the backdrop of discussions about Ukraine's potential membership in NATO. While NATO had not made a formal commitment to Ukraine's membership, discussions and signals of support from some NATO members may have heightened Russia's concerns and contributed to its decision to annex Crimea as a preemptive measure to prevent Ukraine from moving closer to the alliance. Such support was again expressed prior to the war even via official NATO statements.

The lack of a significant reaction from Russia to Finland and Sweden joining NATO can be attributed to several factors. Finland and Sweden are not former Soviet republics, so their potential membership in NATO does not carry the same historical and geopolitical significance for Russia as Ukraine's membership. Additionally, Finland and Sweden joining is not a sudden shift in geopolitical dynamics but entrenches what we basically already knew: they are part of the Western/US-led sphere of influence.

I continue to find the storyline about "imperialist" ambitions weak and too much relying on over-interpretation of facts. The only facts supporting that interpretation are the following:

• Eurasian Economic Union (EEU): In 2015, Russia played a central role in establishing the Eurasian Economic Union, a regional economic bloc comprising former Soviet states such as Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, and Kyrgyzstan. The EEU would allow Russia to exert economic and political influence over its neighbors and to promote integration among post-Soviet states under Russian leadership.
    • Georgia and Moldova: Prior to 2022, Russia had been involved in conflicts with Georgia and Moldova over the breakaway regions of South Ossetia, Abkhazia, and Transnistria, respectively. Russia's support for these separatist regions has been seen as a way to maintain influence and leverage over these countries and prevent them from aligning too closely with the West.
    • Crimea and Eastern Ukraine: The annexation of Crimea in 2014 and the ongoing conflict in Eastern Ukraine have been widely interpreted as manifestations of Russia's efforts to assert control over parts of its former Soviet territory. Russia's actions in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine have been viewed as attempts to prevent Ukraine from drifting closer to the West and to maintain Russian influence in the region.
    • "Near Abroad" Doctrine: Russian leaders have articulated a doctrine that emphasizes Russia's special interests and responsibilities in its "near abroad," referring to the former Soviet republics. This doctrine suggests that Russia sees itself as having a legitimate role in shaping the political and security dynamics of the region.
    • Military Buildup and Exercises: Russia has conducted military exercises and deployed troops near its borders with former Soviet states, signaling its readiness to defend its interests in the region. These actions have raised concerns among neighboring countries and the broader international community about Russia's intentions.

But an interpretation of these actions as "imperialist" isn't necessary where Russian security interests suffice to explain their actions.

DISCLAIMER: I had ChatGPT provide me with a list of geopolitical events relevant to Ukraine.
  • neomac
    But an interpretation of these actions as "imperialist" isn't necessary where Russian security interests suffice to explain their actions.Benkei

You have to clarify what you take others to mean by "imperialist" before making objections to them.
    We can quibble also over Israel committing a "genocide" if security concerns is enough to justify their actions against an actual aggression from Hamas. Russia has no equivalent justification, because there was no aggression from NATO or Ukraine against Russia proper. Besides Russia has plenty of lands where to relocate what he claims to be persecuted Russians in Ukraine.

Besides it doesn't matter how you want to call it. If Russia's security threat and sphere of influence must be taken into account in a strategic calculus, the same goes for Russia. Russia must take into account security threat and sphere of influence of all interested players. And if such concerns are inherently competitive, players will find competitive ways to settle it.

If you take seriously perceived security concerns, you MUST do the same for the US, Europe, Ukraine, Israel, not only for Russia and Palestinians. Unless you side with them, and then pretend to be impartial.
  • Tzeentch
    I had ChatGPT provide me with a list of geopolitical events relevant to Ukraine.Benkei

It is very odd that ChatGPT makes no mention of the 2008 NATO Bucharest Summit (that preceded the Georgia war) and the 2014 coup d'etat (that preceded the annexation of Crimea).

Smells like its algorithms are being tampered with.
  • Benkei
    Let's not confuse two threads. The imperialist interpretation I'm referring to has been mostly forwarded by @ssu, which I'm replying to. I take it as a given others have read that interpretation, so I don't need to set it out.

And nowhere have I given justification, only explanation. I think most countries largely act immoral, driven by real politik considerations. I condemn Western's needless fanning of the flames in Ukraine, increasing their own "security concerns" as a result, raising Russia's security concerns in return. But I note that the facts I raised do not concern Western security at all. Only Ukraine could be affected by the "near abroad" doctrine and we can hardly complain about economic integration. So we can wonder in what sense Western security concerns were protected by expanding eastwards.

Those considerations can only be of a geopolitical nature and not a direct military threat for which NATO is in principle the answer. For existing NATO members there never was a reason to expand NATO after the cold war when the threat had actually largely dissipated. And yet we did it any way. Attempts at de-escalation repeatedly failed and that's not just the Russian's faults.

My main problem with "real politik" views towards geopolitics is that they a) ignore the international legal framework (but of course it will be whipped out when it supports an argument) and b) a predisposition towards conflict that must be won if it materialises, instead of fundamentally aiming at avoiding conflict. But the West (particularly US) will pursue conflict if it furthers their geopolitical agenda even if facts don't support their position (Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.).

If then historically we've seen the most successful roads to peace have been extensive integration and co-operation then these decisions are consequences of us-them divisions, maintaining status quos (to stay top dog, you have to kick down the competition) and projection of power. So to me, the very methodology of framing international relations in real politik terms is an important driving force towards conflict, instead of avoiding it.

And yes security concerns can justify some action. Not all and certainly not war crimes. But again, I think that mixes geopolitical theory and international law. I think I've said before in this thread:

1. from a geopolitical/international relations point of view both Russia and the West are equally to blame for the war in Ukraine
    2. from an international law perspective Russia is an aggressor

But since 2 is in any case an optional argument (pace every "humanitarian" intervention ever and western-led wars) it should be ignored in favour of 1 - as much as that goes against the grain of what I studied and worked for for decades as a human rights trained lawyer. 2 is more about how the world should be and could've been if international law hadn't been applied in such a double standard way.
  • jorndoe
    FYI, some events surrounding the 2014 election that Poroshenko won, plotted into a timeline of sorts (attached). The May 22-26 attacks were considered among the most comprehensive of its kind known at the time. Yarosh seems almost random; he's said to be an extremist. The Euromaidan + Dignity commotion was central, kind of reverberated onwards.

ndpsjimzqijqmg0w.png
  • boethius
    Yes, it is possible that there's some way for Ukrainians to somehow win or then get better terms (... I guess join NATO).

I just don't see exactly how Ukrainians can actually deal with heavy artillery and Russians can simply avoid urban combat.

And, I'm sure you agree that lives should not be thrown away for no reason, they do need to have some real chance of accomplishing the goals you outline.
    boethius

Russia is currently winning this war and no amount of social media is going to change that.
    — boethius

Well, two years have gone from that remark from you and uh..., oh well.
    ssu

Yes, Russia was winning the war 2 years ago, and is still winning the war.

And the whole comment is definitely worth citing:

Yeah, sure, explain the position of Ukrainian Jews to Putin as a diplomatic response if you want.

Or then ignore anything Putin says as your negotiation strategy ... but then why go speak about anything if the plan is just to simply ignore the points of the counter-party?

Or go fight in Ukraine and defend it from Russian aggression.

People seem to be debating based on the premise that keeping social media momentum that any act of defiance no matter how irrelevant militarily speaking (such as just "defying" Putin on this philosophy forum), is going to save Ukrainian lives.

It won't. Russia can't just be cancelled due to social media momentum like some talking head who said the wrong thing on a podcast.

Russia is currently winning this war and no amount of social media is going to change that.

Effective diplomacy can save thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of Ukrainian lives, and arguably millions due to energy price increases and food shortages by actively making this war more disastrous than it is.

Maintaining a stale-mate by flooding in arms can force an adversary to the negotiation table.

But there is no stale mate, Russia couldn't take all of Ukraine in a week because it's so big ... but for the same reason there is no practical way for Ukrainians to defend all of Ukraine. As long as Russian army is steadily advancing, then it is winning and will simply continue to do so until it has "clearly won", and then will negotiate.

Russia certainly had a very soft invasion to start the war to give the Ukrainians the chance to accept the demands of being a neutral country. For the sake of "having the right to join NATO" which NATO isn't offering, those demands are refused and civilians armed to demonstrate a existential battle to the death and call Putin's bluff.

Well, Putin wasn't bluffing about invading Ukraine in the first place, and isn't bluffing about doing things the hard way (relentless heavy artillery bombardment that javelines and manpads can't do much about, only equally heavy counter battery and the logistics to continuously supply shells and fuel, which Ukraine doesn't have).

It's common sense. If NATO isn't actually letting Ukraine in the club (which, to be clear, they could have done anytime) then if you call Putin's bluff about invading, rather than conceding something you don't even have (being in NATO), you better be right or you've wrecked your country and traumatized every citizen and gotten many killed.

If you stage a media campaign of "existential resistance" and passing out riffles to civilians (who will have no effect in a modern battle field and Russia being "less modern" than the US doesn't change that, and get sent a flood of small arms like javelines and manpads from sympathetic countries), to call Putin's bluff about willingness to use tactics that are effective against small arms (big arms), then, again, you better be right about Putin's bluff otherwise your cities get leveled under relentless heavy artillery bombardment and your small arms tactics are of no use.

If the outcome of the war is the same, Russia wins, what was the point of calling Putin's bluffs, which obviously weren't bluffs? Just to prove that Putin was willing to "do what it takes"?

Ukrainian government has had a "Putin defiance, zero compromises" policy since 2014, and goaded on in the West ... and, sadly it seems, truly believed the West was a friend and not just egging them on. Seems to me real tears over the no-fly zone and real frustration with NATO for not actually helping (small arms are effective against US ... because US is unwilling to level cities to the ground and US, at least pretends, to be occupying places for the citizens own good; and, even then, small arms tactics don't actually push US front lines back or overrun US bases, just harasses US patrols until the will to continue occupying the territory, more importantly the strategic purpose, is reduced to zero and then the American's leave ... and even then takes decades of small arms tactics to get to that result).

Yes, Russia does not have as many smart munitions ... but you don't need smart munitions if sending tens of thousands of incredibly cheap shells to obliterate the entire enemy position from tens of kilometres away, gets the job done.

Effective resistance can, in some cases, encourage a settlement on better terms.

Ineffective resistance is A. ineffective and B. likely just angers the counter-party more inviting harsher tactics and worse terms of a negotiated settlement.

And pretty much every military analysist interviewed on TV says the same things (including the former director of the CIA): Ukrainians are fighting so bravely, we got to support them with arms, punish Russia with sanctions so "they learn", blah, blah, blah, but obviously Russia is going to win and Ukraine can't do anything to change that outcome. Why the small arms then? Just virtue signaling that "we tried ... but not really cause you totally not welcome in our little NATO club"?

Sending someone to die should at least serve some strategic purpose, not simply play well on TikToc.
    boethius

At no point has Russia not been winning the conflict.

It conquered about 20% of Ukrainian territory and secured the land bridge to Crimea in the first days of the war, which it still has.

True, I did predict Russian "winning harder" at the start of the war, but that conclusion what based on the assumption that the West would not supply armour, only hand held "defensive weapons"; which, if you remember, the West insisted pretty hard on at the time, and portrayed supplying armour as basically unthinkable.

A few comments later than what you cite above, I explained that obviously armour would be a game changer:

The real game changing weapons would be a lot of armor. There's a reason that Nato assumed that the Soviet Union could just roll through Europe: a shit ton more armor than Nato had. Turns out that the US wildly overestimated the Soviet capabilities (because they hired a Nazi to run intelligence on the Soviets who realized grossly inflating Soviet capabilities would get him more resources and reason to hire his friends), but the basic principle that only a bunch of armor is actually effective against a bunch of armor at the end of the day is pretty accurate (planes and other things can help, but any large scale offensive or counter offensive maneuver needs a bunch of armor--which is why the conscript mobilization playbook also calls for an insane amount of anti-armor mines everywhere).boethius

With armour the Ukrainians could go on offensives and have some reasonable chance of "winning".

And Ukraine did go on offensives, but only after the supply of a lot of armour to do so.

My analysis from the start was not and has never been that Ukraine had zero chance of winning, just that to have a chance would require far more weapons systems and ammunition.

Something the West could have done, but chose not to because if Russian forces were actually at risk of being routed they could resort to nuclear weapons.

Now, Ukraine eventually got a bit of armour, and then a bit of more armour, then Western armour, and some missiles and so on, and once this process started I updated my analysis to "drip-feed theory", which has been my core thesis here since a pretty long time (I'll check, but if I remember correctly I formulated this thesis shortly after the Russians pulled back from Kiev and the Russian offer was rejected).

Drip Feed Theory (DFT) being that Western policy is to prop Ukraine up just enough to resist the Russian but not enough to actually threaten the Russians, so each weapon system is added only after previous weapons systems fail and the new weapon system can at best keep pace, resulting in a war of attrition that Ukraine will lose.
  • boethius
    Well I'm not sure, but I understood that to be a translation snarl. If one put it in the negative - as 96.5% employment, it would be catastrophic, because the old, the infirm, the sick, the insane, and children would be working in huge numbers. And that would be the result of the "disappearance" of men of working age either abroad or into the army/casualty lists.unenlightened

Unemployment statistics only count people able and looking for work.

Which is of course a somewhat vague concept so it's pretty easy to manipulate these figures by changing how things are counted. Of course, good statisticians can pick a way of measuring and track that competently and changes to that number as a proxy to whatever the "real unemployment" is will give insight into what is happening.

I only elaborate on the issue because "people wanting and able to work having work" being a bad thing, is a neo-classical dogma that is highly suspect.

It makes perfect natural sense from a capitalist class point of view, as when you employ people into your business you ideally want them unemployed so that you have the bargaining power. However, that is a capitalist class desire and not some necessary condition for labour movement; it is perfectly logically possible that you hire someone who is already employed by giving them a better offer than their current work (and indeed, upper-middle-class professionals assume this is how their career will go without any logical problems or believing they are contributing to some economic catastrophe).

Of course, if businesses lose employees and go bust, well they go bust, which (only in this context for neo-classical theory) is a bad thing and not "creative destruction" (which is perfectly acceptable if there's "creative destruction" in ways that transfer wealth from the poor to the rich).

This is maybe not the thread to go further into detail, but I hope I've provided enough information that pointing to Russian near-full employment as some harbinger of doom is highly debatable.

Otherwise, the v-blogger you posted is against the war on moral grounds and is sad by all the death and destruction, so an entirely reasonable position to take, but his points that Russians are literally disappearing and the economy will collapse any-day are essentially just fear-mongering and not serious analysis.
  • unenlightened
    Unemployment statistics only count people able and looking for work.boethius

Is that international law, or a law of Nature, or a local convention? I know how the unemployment figures are manipulated and function in the West, and I well remember being told that 3,000,000 unemployed was "a price well worth paying" to get the economy functioning: thanks for the little lecture though. But in a State Capitalist system, things might be different, and measures might be different too. My reason for thinking this might be the case is the context of the figure in the video, and also things like this:

Teenagers, elderly people and even prisoners are plugging drastic holes in the Russian workforce created by people being recruited into the army or fleeing the country.
    https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/12/04/everything-for-the-front-how-war-is-changing-russias-labor-market-a83311

Again, I have not fact-checked, but there is also this:

TV host Dmitry Kiselyov, a bullish ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, on Sunday boasted about the health of Russia's economy 15 months after the unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.

In an edition of his show on Russian state broadcaster Rossiya 1, Kiselyov said that it's "always important to visualise the overall proportions" and specifically "the proportions of the Ukrainian economy and how they've changed over the past year," reported BBC Monitoring 's Francis Scarr.

"This is especially important in comparison with Russian figures," he said. The spin doctor, known as "Putin's mouthpiece", went on to point to a number of factors he claimed showed that Russia was economically performing better than Ukraine.

He omitted how Russia's invasion has decimated the Ukrainian economy, and boasted that in Russia "unemployment is at an historic low."
    https://www.businessinsider.com/kremlin-ally-boasts-of-low-unemployment-which-is-really-fueled-by-ukraine-losses-2023-5
  • boethius
    Is that international law, or a law of Nature, or a local convention?unenlightened

Statistics are made by statisticians. It is a convention how unemployment is defined; who exactly fits this definition at any given time would be fact that can be observed but statisticians generally use proxies to the data they seek such as survey data, tax data, unemployment payment schemes, and whatever else may seem relevant to them.

My reason for thinking this might be the case is the context of the figure in the video, and also things like this:

"Teenagers, elderly people and even prisoners are plugging drastic holes in the Russian workforce created by people being recruited into the army or fleeing the country."

Again, if these workers aren't forced then it maybe a good thing that teenagers and old people can work if they want to or the pay is attractive enough to them. Presumably the prison labour is forced and conditions in Russian prisons aren't great anyways, so definitely lamentable.

However, the point of my little lecture about the unemployment statistics is that if you need to resort to the argument that low unemployment is some "great tragedy" that has befallen the Russian people then that's pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel of available gripes.

The fact of the matter is, neither the sanctions nor propping up Ukraine have fulfilled their original promise of doing great harm to Russia (people, institutions, power projection etc.).

Which is what I predicted at the start of the conflict: sanctions are unlikely to work (because they never work), and the war is likely to make Russian significantly more powerful in military terms (as that's what conventional wars generally result in, often for both participants).

Which was the original purpose of my analysis 2 years ago, that rejecting Russias offer would likely result in a stronger Russia, not weaker one (with a chance to result in total collapse of the Russian government: why they would offer and accept a peace deal on favourable terms, as it isn't rational to risk even a tiny chance of total collapse if there is an acceptable alternative). Whereas accepting the offer could easily be presented as a Ukrainian (and Western ) victory and it would debated for a long time who came out on top, but definitely Ukraine and the West could easily tell the story that courageous Ukrainians "stood up to Putin" and Russia was forced to give back the Donbas due to this fierce resistance with Western support. Of course, Russia would have gotten recognition of Crimea in such a deal so it would have gained territory overall from the events put in motion in 2014, but the main takeaway (for Western talking heads) would be the mighty Russian army tried and failed to conquer all of Ukraine in 3 days and the valiant Ukrainians led by the intrepid and daring Zelensky put a stop to their machinations.

Why I was so concerned about the likely result of continuing the war resulting in a stronger Russia is because (despite being continuously accused of being pro-Russian and even a Russian intelligence operative on occasion) I don't actually want a stronger Russia, and worse a stronger China.

I don't like authoritarianism, and although Russia is a democracy and Putin has legitimate broad democratic support, it's still far more authoritarian system than to my nordic liking. However, China and its Orwellian social credit system and mass surveillance systems (that make our own mass surveillance systems look like actual freedom in comparison) is far more concerning. Pushing Russia and China together into an alliance makes China far stronger on the world stage and enables export of its totalitarian technology to any authoritarian of whatever flavour anywhere. The war also significantly weakens Europe that is an actual democratizing force in its institutional international relations (despite many, many flaws).

Western policy has been self defeating in this conflict, mostly due to corruption.

Pointing out Russia is winning and very, very, very likely to win (as @ssu reminds us I predicted 2 years ago) is not pro-Russian, but pro-reality, and if we want to navigate to a better world the starting point must be how the world actually is today, which is one in which Russia can easily win a war on its border, nuclear weapons prevents any "bold action" to change that (aka. starting another World War), and propping up Ukraine is high likelihood of making Russia stronger and sanctions creates a parallel world economy and weakens Western leverage globally, and Europe is severely weakened further eroding Western leverage.

In other words, stupidity in the name of what sounds good, is just dumb. Feeling morally superior by doing something self defeating in service of a buzzword is actually evil when you look at is closely. In a gist, this is the essence of my analysis across these soon 600 hundred pages of discourse.
  • unenlightened
    if these workers aren't forced then it maybe a good thing that teenagers and old people can work if they want to or the pay is attractive enough to them.boethius

Maybe it is a good thing! Maybe it's a good thing if the Russian economy is collapsing.

the point of my little lecture about the unemployment statistics is that if you need to resort to the argument that low unemployment is some "great tragedy" that has befallen the Russian people then that's pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel of available gripes.boethius

Well the point of your little lecture looks a little weak. I have now given three sources indicating a bit of a labour shortage to a critical labour shortage. I haven't mentioned the floods, that were not very well coped with, or the refinery repairs and defences that are happening very slowly, and I haven't gone into the details of population statistics that exacerbate the dual effects of war casualties and emigration of workers.

The real difficulty that I see is that the population is not enthusiastic about the war. There's no doubt there's some 'dig to survive' around, but not much 'dig for victory'.
  • neomac
    ↪neomac
    The imperialist interpretation I'm referring to has been mostly forwarded by ssu, which I'm replying to. I take it as a given others have read that interpretation, so I don't need to set it out.
    Benkei

I challenge you to make explicit the “interpretation” of imperialism you think @“ssu” is forwarding, because maybe you are misunderstanding his claims.
    Here a definition of imperialism:
    Imperialism is the practice, theory or attitude of maintaining or extending power over foreign nations, particularly through expansionism, employing both hard power (military and economic power) and soft power (diplomatic power and cultural imperialism). Imperialism focuses on establishing or maintaining hegemony and a more or less formal empire. While related to the concepts of colonialism, imperialism is a distinct concept that can apply to other forms of expansion and many forms of government.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperialism
    According to such definition, would you consider Putin decision to invade Ukraine and annex part of its territories, imperialist or not?
    If you do not like that definition, you can propose yours.

And nowhere have I given justification, only explanation. I think most countries largely act immoral, driven by real politik considerations. I condemn Western’s needless fanning of the flames in Ukraine, increasing their own "security concerns" as a result, raising Russia's security concerns in return.Benkei

Well, I understand “most countries largely act immoral” as equivalent to “most countries largely act in a morally unjustified way” so it’s like your explanation however includes an assessment about justification on both sides, right?
    Anyways, if you explain and not justify, under what circumstances can one then switch from explanation to justification? From description to condemnation?

But I note that the facts I raised do not concern Western security at all. Only Ukraine could be affected by the "near abroad" doctrine and we can hardly complain about economic integration. So we can wonder in what sense Western security concerns were protected by expanding eastwards.Benkei

If one includes the US and Europeans as part of “the West”, Ukraine is “the near abroad” of the West too, If Russia feels threatened by the expansion of the West in Ukraine, the West can feel threatened by Russia wanting to expand in Ukraine.
    Besides if Ukraine wants to join the West through the EU and NATO, and the West would welcome Ukrainian westernisation. Russia has initiated a war in the West near abroad and hindered the Western hegemonic interest to westernise Ukraine which was reciprocated by the Ukrainians.
    Russia committed two questionable moves in terms of security in this hegemonic struggles: discounted Ukrainians will despite having acknowledged its sovereignty and started an actual violent expansion in Ukraine which violates the Ukrainian territorial sovereignty.
    Do you agree with such explanation?

Those considerations can only be of a geopolitical nature and not a direct military threat for which NATO is in principle the answer. For existing NATO members there never was a reason to expand NATO after the cold war when the threat had actually largely dissipated. And yet we did it any way.Benkei

If Europe is part of the West and Europe ends in Eastern European countries, then Russia is DEFINITELY WITHOUT ANY REASONABLE DOUBT a direct military threat to the West: it has motivations (hegemonic ambitions and revanchism after the fall of Soviet Union) and it has means (including nuclear arsenal). The threat kept growing under Putin given the military build-up and the centralization of power. And since the war with Georgia, Russia has actually proven its aggressive dispositions toward neighbouring countries (and not only).
    Even if, back at the end of Soviet Union, security concerns were more about anticipated than imminent military threats (which is what real politik strategic thinking in the domain of security and defence is all about), NATO was repurposed to expand the democratic and economic European institutions and Western collective in line with the US hegemonic ambitions. Also because Islamic extremism seemed the most urgent threat to deal with.
    Do you agree with such explanation?

My main problem with "real politik" views towards geopolitics is that they a) ignore the international legal framework (but of course it will be whipped out when it supports an argument) and b) a predisposition towards conflict that must be won if it materialises, instead of fundamentally aiming at avoiding conflict.Benkei

How do you explain the fact that "real politik" views ignore the international legal framework? And the “real politik" predisposition towards conflict, instead of fundamentally aiming at avoiding conflict?

But the West (particularly US) will pursue conflict if it furthers their geopolitical agenda even if facts don't support their position (Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.).Benkei

Would you say the same for Russia, China, Iran?

If then historically we've seen the most successful roads to peace have been extensive integration and co-operation then these decisions are consequences of us-them divisions, maintaining status quos (to stay top dog, you have to kick down the competition) and projection of power. So to me, the very methodology of framing international relations in real politik terms is an important driving force towards conflict, instead of avoiding it.Benkei

Yet, realpolitik theorists such as Mearsheimer and Walt are arguing that the idealist pursuit of “extensive integration and co-operation” and not what political realism would dictate is mistakenly driving the Western (particularly the US) in conflicts which are against the US interest (like the conflict in Ukraine and in Israel).
    BTW, do you think Russia, China, and Iran are framing international relations in terms of real politik or in idealist terms ? Are they pursuing power projection, and leaning towards conflict, unlike the US? Do you think the US is the Great Satan, namely the most evil/oppressive geopolitical entity on earth or history so that the entire world (including other Western countries) wishes (or should wish) to support Russian, Chinese, and Iranian hegemonic ambitions than the US’s in lack of better alternatives?

And yes security concerns can justify some action. Not all and certainly not war crimes. But again, I think that mixes geopolitical theory and international law.Benkei

This mixing is precisely what’s most worth to philosophically investigate, as far as I’m concerned, especially what allows one to switch from explanation to justification.

I think I've said before in this thread:

1. from a geopolitical/international relations point of view both Russia and the West are equally to blame for the war in Ukraine
    2. from an international law perspective Russia is an aggressor

But since 2 is in any case an optional argument (pace every "humanitarian" intervention ever and western-led wars) it should be ignored in favour of 1 - as much as that goes against the grain of what I studied and worked for for decades as a human rights trained lawyer. 2 is more about how the world should be and could've been if international law hadn't been applied in such a double standard way
    Benkei

“Ignore” in the sense that “international law” and “humanitarian intervention” do not play any explanatory role?
    “could've been if” in the sense that “international law” is sort of wishful thinking? If not, what’s the difference?
  • jorndoe
    Foreign interference in Ukraine’s election
    — Jakub Kalenský, Laura Galante, Maksym Eristavi, John E Herbst, Geysha González · The Ukraine Election Task Force · May 15, 2019
    Elmar Brok made some statements in 2016, that remain pertinent.

Regarding straightforward threats to Russia (topics emphasized):

As far as I can tell, democratization (transparency, freedom, human rights, independent election monitors, bona fide indicators, the usual) would not pose a threat to the common Russian, though it could pose a threat to certain others (not many) in Russian society. Overall, I'm guessing this would bring prosperity (and safety/security) to more Russians over time and would go some way to increase trust.

Also as far as I can tell, in general, there's no particular threat to the common Russian, except perhaps from the Kremlin, which is internal to Russia. There's a chance that some Russians abroad have faced discrimination/threats, which is unreasonable for merely being Russian.

Sanctions/embargoes pose a threat. Surely the likes of free (but legal) trade would be quite beneficial to Russian society, whereas more isolation (or imposed economic starvation) is more deleterious. Presumably then, not doing what caused the sanctions, is perceived as bad/worse (or threats in plural) by the sanctioned. So, we have to ask what caused the sanctions, and what consequences there might be of not doing what caused them, which involves sifting through whatever material.
    International sanctions during the Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-
    International sanctions during the Russian invasion of Ukraine 2022-
    Sanctions against Russia

If Russia were to accrue significant debt, then that could be a threat of sorts. Maybe not a high threat as such, might depend on creditors.

An invasion of Russia pose a straightforward, head-on threat. We then have to ask if anyone is lined up to invade Russia, or has threatened credibly to invade. Say, is anyone in a position to grab Russian land, and interested in trying to do so? Somewhat similarly, anyone motivated and geared up to outright level Russia (not setting foot therein), without much danger to themselves, could pose a threat.

Internal strife in Russia possibly pose a threat, depending. If the strifers wanted something similar to what the Ukrainians wanted/want (Euromaidan + Dignity), then it's possible that a threat would only be to some or few Russians (internally). External parties could have an interest in trying to sow division within Russia; surely Ukraine is motivated to try undermining the present Kremlin's power (as a countermeasure to the invasion).

Imposed, concerted (effective, Russophobic) anti-Russification/other-fication efforts in Russia, would be a cultural/identity genocide, though the largest country in the world already has a few ethnocultural groups. So there's a threat. This is the type of threat the Kremlin has enacted on occupied Ukraine (and some other places). As of typing, there's no indication/evidence that Russia is struggling with such a threat. Homosexuality isn't that, despite the Kremlin's efforts and legislation.

I'm sure I've missed some. Please feel free to fill in the blanks. For a more complete round-up, factors or possible moves in the other direction, to benefit Russian society should be added/compared.

FYI, in terms of population numbers, here are some comparisons (increasing order):
    Germany + Poland < Russia < Germany + France < Russia + Belarus < Germany + France + Finland < Germany + Poland + Ukraine
  • ssu
    Yes, Russia was winning the war 2 years ago, and is still winning the war.boethius
    Well, I'll hope this will be such an astounding victory like the Winter War was for Russia. And I'm sure to have found people like you saying so then. After all, they won a lot of territory (even if the Finnish proletariat wasn't liberated from the evil capitalists, but who cares about that), so let's hope for a similar decisive and outstanding Russian victory!

1280px-Raate_road.jpg
  • boethius
    Well, I'll hope this will be such an astounding victory like the Winter War was for Russia. And I'm sure to have found people like you saying so then. After all, they won a lot of territory (even if the Finnish proletariat wasn't liberated from the evil capitalists, but who cares about that), so let's hope for a similar decisive and outstanding Russian victory!ssu

Again, there's really big difference between this current war and the Winter War.

First, notice that in the photo you just posted there's a lot of snow and a lot of trees, which were significant defensive advantages.

As important as the geographical advantages, the Winter War occurred in the context of WWII and the Soviets could not fully focus on defeating we Finns, so there was also an advantage in terms of the geopolitical context.

Therefore, Finland, while not being in a position to "win" on the battlefield, was in a position to impose a cost great enough to compel the Soviets to settle the conflict.

The Finnish military defence was not "for the sake of it" or as some "quaint gesture" to posterity but was a military strategy imbedded in a larger diplomatic strategy to achieve the political objective of retaining as much independence as possible.

In compelling the Soviets to negotiate, the Finns were realistic and made offers the Stalin maybe willing to accept and ultimately did accept; a realistic strategy involving compromise (some land can be given up, some political humiliation can be accepted, some reparations can be paid, in order to secure 80% of the territory and 100% of the Finns, who did not die in the war). A strategy of compromise that persisted after the war in order to avoid being re-invaded or otherwise absorbed by the Soviet Union; a diplomatic strategy referred to as "Finlandization", which did not involve just telling the Soviets to fuck off at every possible opportunity (but pretty much the contrary).

I do not take issue with Ukraine having a military and fighting the war.

What I take issue with most of all is having no diplomatic strategy.

Ukraine has never proposed any resolution to the war that would be remotely acceptable to the Russians; they simply make maximalist demands.

Which brings up another key difference with Finland in that Finland was more-or-less competently managed by honest politicians during the Winter War, whereas Ukraine is pervasively corrupt. You cannot say a corrupt government "represents the people". When the US first announced Ukraine would join NATO, over 2/3rds of Ukrainians were against NATO expansion into Ukraine; did "Ukrainian agency" or "the will of the people" matter then. Likewise, the poll that was continuously toted to show "Ukrainians want to fight!" was a false dichotomy between complete capitulation and "fighting to a better result", which obviously presumes there's a better result to fight for and by definition if it's better than that's good and we should try to do that.

The West (as in people with power) have no problem outright stating that it's a good thing for Ukraine to make unrealistic demands and just keep fighting without a diplomatic strategy because this imposes a cost on the Russians and Russia should pay a cost for invading another country. The logic is never that Ukraine will militarily achieve its objectives but just that Ukraine is the West's disciplinary rod with which to strike Putin's outstretched hand.

The problem with all this is that there's no "minimization of harm" principle. The policy is to essentially maximize harm to Ukraine as that also harms Russia (maybe).

The money we send to Ukraine is a de facto bribe to Ukrainian elites to do what we want. It's not some free spirited gift but entirely coercive to dictate to Ukraine what it can and can't do. As Borel recently noted, Ukraine would collapse in 2 weeks and the War would end if the West stopped support.

Because the policy is not to seek an end best for Ukrainians, but simply have Ukraine fight the Russians so "we don't have to at home" (even when that's a absolutely moronic statement), the West would just say "it's up to Ukrainians to negotiate with Russia". Why is this the policy? So that there's no Western leverage at play to seek a resolution to the conflict. It's presented as "we're so magnanimous that we won't 'interfere' with Ukrainian's negotiation" but what it is in reality is that the West will not positively contribute to any peaceful resolution, in fact we'll just go ahead and blow up some leverage the West has that could compel a resolution to the war on better terms for Ukraine. Blowing up the pipeline locks in more war, more Ukrainian deaths and less coercive power over Russia to settle on better terms for Ukraine.

We're basically in a frightening Alice in Vunderland version of diplomacy where we seek the maximum destruction and harm to Ukraine while presenting those policies as noble and honourable and in the best interest of Ukraine, which we've redefined as a country that simply nobly and honourably self sacrifices for no practical purpose. We've developed an idealized version of the heroic Ukrainian soldier that self sacrifices on the battlefield by his or her very nature and there need not be a reasonable purpose to it. Our leaders have zero problem lecturing Ukrainians that have dodged the draft or left the country that they need to "fight for their country" and of course must all be sent to the front and we'll help round them up and send them over, even if there's no "strategy for victory" (which the White House never produced in negotiating with the congress), all while simultaneously claiming that the War is Ukrainian business and represents "Ukrainian agency".

It's all very, very dark.

Very far from the white snows of Finland you're nostalgic for.

Winter is coming though, naturally.
  • RogueAI
    If Putin and the top leadership had known the war would go on this long with this many Russian casualties, do you think they still would have invaded?
  • boethius
    ↪boethius If Putin and the top leadership had known the war would go on this long with this many Russian casualties, do you think they still would have invaded?RogueAI

Definitely.

The war has gone extremely well for the Kremlin, from what I can tell.

Russia is attritting NATO weapons (not all weapons, but critical weapons such as artillery shells and air defence) in close to ideal circumstances where those weapons do not coherently and cohesively integrate together in rational military plans.

Russia has created a parallel global economy due to Western sanctions; i.e. created another pond in which it is the big fish.

Best of all, the war is accelerating the decline of the US empire.

From what I can tell, Putin and all the Kremlin and military hardliners didn't like so much the collapse of the Soviet Union and the West "winning" the Cold War. They of course recognize it was entirely self inflicted so I do not think there was any desire or even consideration of achieving some sort of revenge against the USA after the Soviet fall. 90s and early 00s Russia was very much about just minding its own business and trying deal with its new position in the world, mostly focused on not falling apart even more.

However, when the US started directly attack Russian interests, not only do Russian elites "need" to respond to that (in the sense of being stuck in the international system and a slave to its dynamic) but I think it kindled within Russian elites a vision of helping accelerate a process within the US (a process of imperial overreach in parallel to deepening dysfunctional corruption and ideological collapse at home) that they saw unfold in the Soviet Union. I don't think it's ideologically motivated on the Russian elites part, but rather I think it's more personal in that Western officials insult them (such as taking advantage of their good will, such as help in logistics for the war on terror, and also in approving the Libyan no-fly-zone, that "bombing everything" is not the definition of a no-fly-zone, as well as bad faith with regard to Minsk and claiming missile bases in Eastern Europe are about Iran and the like) and take them for fools, so the reaction of Putin and the Russian intelligence and military elite around him is "you want to play, let's play; we know this game".

That's my sense of it anyways.
  • jorndoe
    Telling a fine story as usual, @boethius. :)

over 2/3rds of Ukrainians were against NATOboethius

Are you referring to the May 2014 gradual switch, observed in polls?

1991              · Ukraine-NATO relations start
    1993-6            · Ukraine given some security commitments by Russia, UK, US
    1997              · Ukraine joins Planning and Review Process (NATO)
    1998              · NATO-Ukraine Commission
    20100118-0207     · Yanukovych wins election
    20131121-20140222 · Euromaidan
    20140218-23       · Dignity Revolution
    20140318          · Russia annexes Crimea
    20140329          · Kyiv: Ukraine is neutral, non-aligned
    201405--          · Roughly all polls switch from neutral to NATO
    20140525-26       · Poroshenko wins election (CyberBerkut interference)
    20190401-19       · Zelenskyy wins election
    20220224          · Russia invades Ukraine
    20220308          · Kyiv: Ukraine not insisting on NATO membership
    20220930          · Ukraine applies for NATO membership
    20230404          · Finland joins NATO
    20240307          · Sweden joins NATO

whereas Ukraine is pervasively corruptboethius

You keep repeating this (and the like) just as if having pre-settled the matter (to yourself).

The Ukrainians have been looking to the EU for some time, despite Putin's warnings. They've shown willingness to reform, have independent election observers (+ generally, foreign press and whatever), ditch officials having been found corrupt, work with the EU to develop a fair democracy, ..., during invasion + bombing. More or less the opposite of Putin's Russia — that dominating neighbor they want to wrestle free from. In short, they're trying, whereas your comments has a faint whiff of racism occasionally seen elsewhere and fatalism (peppered with a bit of conspiracy), while portraying Putin's Russia as impregnable, faithfully echoing Putin's words. (Heck, "trying was always futile, Ukraine is Russian", right?)

Putin signs decree setting Russia’s development goals for 2030
    — TASS · May 7, 2024
    Russia to join ranks of top four global economies — presidential decree
    — TASS · May 7, 2024
    join ranks of the top four global economies by the purchasing power parity
    agro-industrial production volume should grow by 25%

I'm sure a good chunk of Ukraine under the Kremlin would help with that. :)
  • Echarmion
    But an interpretation of these actions as "imperialist" isn't necessary where Russian security interests suffice to explain their actions.Benkei

Aren't security interests in foreign countries inherently imperialistic?

Only Ukraine could be affected by the "near abroad" doctrine and we can hardly complain about economic integration. So we can wonder in what sense Western security concerns were protected by expanding eastwards.Benkei

But since NATO has no doctrine for expanding into Russia, the same can be said of Russian security interests. The idea of security interests presupposes the sides inherently have imperial objectives, or at least that such objectives are always significantly likely.

Those considerations can only be of a geopolitical nature and not a direct military threat for which NATO is in principle the answer. For existing NATO members there never was a reason to expand NATO after the cold war when the threat had actually largely dissipated. And yet we did it any way.Benkei

This is a bit of a catch 22 in geopolitical terms though. Expanding into areas not under threat is bad because it increases tensions for no immediate gain. Expanding into areas under threat is bad because it can lead to a direct confrontation. So never expand at all? But then all security concerns are meaningless.

1. from a geopolitical/international relations point of view both Russia and the West are equally to blame for the war in UkraineBenkei

What does it mean to say that someone is "to blame" from an explicitly amoral geopolitical point of view?
  • ssu
    Therefore, Finland, while not being in a position to "win" on the battlefield, was in a position to impose a cost great enough to compel the Soviets to settle the conflict.boethius
    That's what Ukraine hopes to do also. Holding a victory march in the Red Square isn't the objective.

The Finnish military defence was not "for the sake of it" or as some "quaint gesture" to posterity but was a military strategy imbedded in a larger diplomatic strategy to achieve the political objective of retaining as much independence as possible.boethius
    And what's the difference here?

A strategy of compromise that persisted after the war in order to avoid being re-invaded or otherwise absorbed by the Soviet Union; a diplomatic strategy referred to as "Finlandization", which did not involve just telling the Soviets to fuck off at every possible opportunity (but pretty much the contrary).boethius
    We were talking about the Winter War[/]. There was the Continuation War, you know... which actually was exactly that "telling the Soviets to fuck off at every possible opportunity".

What I take issue with most of all is having no diplomatic strategy.boethius
    Look, Finland didn't either have "a diplomatic strategy" publicly until made the deal. Both in the Winter War and in the war of Continuation.

What is different with the modern world is that negotiations are done all the time. Yet the commitment of Ukraine and Russia is just the same as it was during the wars between Finland and the Soviet Union: both sides are staunchly committed to the war... until they aren't. It is only the US which has this extremely illogical way of fighting a war and while doing it, declaring that it will withdraw. Thus wasn't hard for the Taleban to understand that the US would do exactly what it did to South Vietnam, betray it's former ally and walk away (as the US did under Trump and Biden).

But Ukraine will be committed to fight the war and Russia to "exterminate the fascist ruling Ukraine" until a solution is found.

In compelling the Soviets to negotiate, the Finns were realistic and made offers the Stalin maybe willing to accept and ultimately did acceptboethius
    Nope. France and the UK were willing to join the war on the Finnish side. This was a real fear for Stalin, as his natural fear was that the West would attack him. Stalin didn't have nuclear deterrence as Putin has. So he gave up on his objectives. The Finns, well, the Finnish military didn't have high hopes before the war and likely was surprised that Finland could fight off the Soviets for a hundred days or so.

However, when the US started directly attack Russian interestsboethius
    Directly attack Russian interests?

Lol, again with the Putinist propaganda, tovarich! :grin:

The only direct attacks have happened from Putin's Russia, FYI.
  • Benkei
    Aren't security interests in foreign countries inherently imperialistic?Echarmion

I don't think so. Only when those security interests are expressed through policy action that extends power over foreign countries. But just investing in defensive capabilities, for instance, would not be imperialistic.

But since NATO has no doctrine for expanding into Russia, the same can be said of Russian security interests. The idea of security interests presupposes the sides inherently have imperial objectives, or at least that such objectives are always significantly likely.Echarmion

I think you're correct in identifying that most analyses presuppose such (potential) objectives - as I mentioned later with my gripe about typical real politik analysis. Russia has always argued that the potential capabilities of NATO lead to its security concerns. The same is NATO's reason for expansion; the potential capabilities of Russia to invade Europe. I think those capabilities and the Soviet political framework supported that assessment during the Cold War; they found the invasion plans in Eastern Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall after all. But after the disintegration of the USSR, I don't think this was realistic for a long time and there certainly was no reasonable fear to justify expansion for the existing members at the time. That was driven by a policy of containment, which in turn fed Russia's fear of NATO capabilities.

I don't see that expansion as fundamentally different from Russia placing ballistic missiles in Cuba.

This is a bit of a catch 22 in geopolitical terms though. Expanding into areas not under threat is bad because it increases tensions for no immediate gain. Expanding into areas under threat is bad because it can lead to a direct confrontation. So never expand at all? But then all security concerns are meaningless.Echarmion

Expansion is inherently aggressive (and imperialistic) yes. So there's no catch-22 in my view. In the absence of an actual threat, expanding so-called "defensive" alliances is an aggressive geopolitical move. NATO's "expansion" into space is an aggressive move as well.

What does it mean to say that someone is "to blame" from an explicitly amoral geopolitical point of view?Echarmion

I would think the goal of geopolitical policy is to avoid costly wars so you'd expect parties to manoeuvre away from them, instead of towards them.
  • ssu
    For existing NATO members there never was a reason to expand NATO after the cold war when the threat had actually largely dissipated. And yet we did it any way.Benkei
    But "unfortunately" NATO has a charter and there is this article, number 10:

Article 10

The Parties may, by unanimous agreement, invite any other European State in a position to further the principles of this Treaty and to contribute to the security of the North Atlantic area to accede to this Treaty. Any State so invited may become a Party to the Treaty by depositing its instrument of accession with the Government of the United States of America. The Government of the United States of America will inform each of the Parties of the deposit of each such instrument of accession.

And there were enough Eastern European countries feeling threatened by Russia, and, as we have now seen, rightly so. The Baltic States understood quite well their vulnerability and the fact the Russia hadn't shed it's imperialist ways. Yet somehow this active role these countries played here is forgotten by the Putinist crowd (naturally). These self-designated "realists" simply ignore these countries as actual actors here.

And then came the actions that Russia took, which forced even Finland and Sweden to change their course. You had to do a lot to change the stance these two countries had, actually.

Aren't security interests in foreign countries inherently imperialistic?Echarmion

I don't think so. Only when those security interests are expressed through policy action that extends power over foreign countries. But just investing in defensive capabilities, for instance, would not be imperialistic.Benkei
    Some could uphold the figleaf of the other's sovereignty, yet blatantly intervene in all aspects of internal politics of a country. That would be the modern way of (neo)imperialism. Yet in this case when Russians talk of other countries being "artificial", that the countries should be part Russia and do annex territories and start with forced assimilation, that should tell people that this is classic imperialism.

Being part of NATO isn't the same thing, however some seem to want to make it.
  • Tzeentch
    And then came the actions that Russia took, which forced even Finland and Sweden to change their course. You had to do a lot to change the stance these two countries had, actually.ssu

Washington worked very hard for it. And they got what they wanted: a new set of lambs to sacrifice on the altar of American geopolitics.
  • Benkei
    But "unfortunately" NATO has a charter and there is this article, number 10:ssu

So no obligation to do it but let's do it any way. As far as the threat to former Eastern European states was concerned. NATO was doing fine when it was all Warsaw Pact. So there's no sensible reason to expand other than containment.

Some could uphold the figleaf of the other's sovereignty, yet blatantly intervene in all aspects of internal politics of a country. That would be the modern way of (neo)imperialism. Yet in this case when Russians talk of other countries being "artificial", that the countries should be part Russia and do annex territories and start with forced assimilation, that should tell people that this is classic imperialism.ssu

Yes, you like to ignore twenty years of warning in favour of a single instance and then focus on one speech by Putin in which he claimed Ukraine was artificial. So one country and not countries. And my definition of imperialism doesn't relate to figleafs at all. The imperialist ambitions of Russia are limited if they existed at all since the dissolution of the USSR.

Being part of NATO isn't the same thing, however some seem to want to make it.ssu

Of course it is. Just because you're on the right side of that alliance doesn't change this. The assumption also that NATO, or any group of countries, is (or indeed will be) a force for good forever is ridiculous. It's planning for immediate threats instead of the long run where I'd like a world without war, not one where the West can continue to cajole the rest of the world into doing its bidding and applying double standards all the time. Combined with the swift deteroriation of democratic principles in almost every Western democracy and we'll have a nice fascist alliance in a few decades. Just in time to start wars to deal with collapsing biodomes, food shortages and energy crises.

Either you lead by example and build a rule based order, or you do what has been happening in the past 3 decades and fuck up the UN.
  • Echarmion
    I don't think so. Only when those security interests are expressed through policy action that extends power over foreign countries. But just investing in defensive capabilities, for instance, would not be imperialistic.Benkei

Yes, I also think my statement was too general. But it might highlight an important notion: That there is no hard dividing line between a security interest and an imperialist ambition without introducing a value judgement.

Fundamentally, purely defensive capabilities don't exist, since even a bunker technically frees up capacity for operations elsewhere. So in a geopolitical context the goals are critical.

I think you're correct in identifying that most analyses presuppose such (potential) objectives - as I mentioned later with my gripe about typical real politik analysis. Russia has always argued that the potential capabilities of NATO lead to its security concerns. The same is NATO's reason for expansion; the potential capabilities of Russia to invade Europe. I think those capabilities and the Soviet political framework supported that assessment during the Cold War; they found the invasion plans in Eastern Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall after all. But after the disintegration of the USSR, I don't think this was realistic for a long time and there certainly was no reasonable fear to justify expansion for the existing members at the time. That was driven by a policy of containment, which in turn fed Russia's fear of NATO capabilities.Benkei

It does seem to have a familiar rhyme to it: the fear of "encirclement", the resentment of having lost a contest of strength, the lack of an adequate re-integration of the former enemy into the international community.

Yet it also needs to be said that nothing about Russia's approach to the changes in the geopolitical landscape after 1990 was preordained. It was the Putin government that explicitly undertook to integrate Russia's imperial past and it's claim to great power status into it's mandate.

I don't see that expansion as fundamentally different from Russia placing ballistic missiles in Cuba.Benkei

But the context certainly is different. The Cuban missile crisis was deliberate brinkmanship by Khrushchev with the aim of recalibrating US-Soviet relations on a more favourable basis. The NATO expansion did not treat Russia as a threat to be dealt with but as a non-factor.

With the Cuban nuclear missiles, the SU really did mean to threaten the US militarily. NATO didn't expand eastwards to threaten Russia militarily.

Expansion is inherently aggressive (and imperialistic) yes. So there's no catch-22 in my view. In the absence of an actual threat, expanding so-called "defensive" alliances is an aggressive geopolitical move. NATO's "expansion" into space is an aggressive move as well.Benkei

I guess this leads us back to my initial point: from an amoral geopolitical perspective, aggression and defense are fluid and relative. What matters is goals and capabilities.

Russia's reaction to NATO expansion isn't based on whether that expansion is "aggressive" or not. It's based on Russia's goals and capabilities, and the goals and capabilities they ascribe to NATO.

NATO expansion was against Russia's goal of maintaining it's influence, but it lacked the capability to do anything about it. When the capability was available, it was used.

This view avoids treating Russia as an automaton that merely reacts to aggression.

I would think the goal of geopolitical policy is to avoid costly wars so you'd expect parties to manoeuvre away from them, instead of towards them.Benkei

So, whoever has the more costly war loses? Because from this perspective, it's not really clear whether the Ukraine war isn't a net benefit to NATO, even if Ukraine ends up losing a bunch of territory.

Yes, you like to ignore twenty years of warning in favour of a single instance and then focus on one speech by Putin in which he claimed Ukraine was artificial. So one country and not countries. And my definition of imperialism doesn't relate to figleafs at all. The imperialist ambitions of Russia are limited if they existed at all since the dissolution of the USSR.Benkei

Well regardless of whether we want to class Russia's goals as "imperialist", they clearly judged that their goals required a war and the annexation of territory. This decision was not forced on Russia by external circumstances.

Either you lead by example and build a rule based order, or you do what has been happening in the past 3 decades and fuck up the UN.Benkei

I think the argument that the West mortally undermined it's own standing and thus created a world where the invasion of Ukraine no longer seemed out of the question is a much better one than the argument that NATO expansion specifically drove Russian foreign policy.
  • jorndoe
    Combined with the swift deteroriation of democratic principles in almost every Western democracy and we'll have a nice fascist alliance in a few decades.Benkei

Incidentally, who do you think is eagerly trying to help that along? :D Thus sort of making full circle, well, in part at least?

Virtual Hatred: How Russia Tried to Start a Race War in the United States (— William J Aceves · California Western School of Law · 2019)
    The Corruption of the American Mind: How Foreign Funding in U.S. Higher Education by Authoritarian Regimes, Widely Undisclosed, Predicts Erosion of Democratic Norms and Antisemitic Incidents on Campus (— NCRI · Nov 6, 2023 · 53 pages)
    Vladimir Putin’s plan to ‘tear the US apart’ during 2024 election exposed (— Charlie Bradley · Express · Dec 23, 2023)
    Russia’s War on Woke (— Mikhail Zygar · Foreign Affairs · Jan 2, 2024)
    Doppelganger operation (— EU DisinfoLab · Feb 2, 2024)
    President Grills Ivanishvili and GD in Final Address to Parliament, Offers to Mediate United Opposition Platform (— Civil Georgia · Feb 6, 2024)
    It may be too late to stop the great election disinformation campaigns of 2024 but we have to at least try (— Tom Felle · The Conversation · Feb 9, 2024)
    The Threat from Russia’s Unconventional Warfare Beyond Ukraine, 2022–24 (— Jack Watling, Oleksandr V Danylyuk, Nick Reynolds · RUSI · Feb 20, 2024)
    Denying Russia’s Only Strategy for Success (also see Reflexive control) (— Nataliya Bugayova, Frederick W Kagan, Kateryna Stepanenko · ISW · Mar 27, 2024)
    Czechia busts Russian propaganda network targeting European elections (— Martin Fornusek · The Kyiv Independent (Deník N, Der Spiegel, Le Monde) · Apr 1, 2024)
    Tracing the rise of Russian state media on TikTok (— Valerie Wirtschafter · Brookings · May 2, 2024)
    (↑ there are more reports, that's one state actor among others)

And if NATO doesn't become some "nice fascist alliance in a few decades"? We already have hungry nice fascist/authoritarian powerhouses (that would like to see the sentiment above grow to action). This sort of anti-NATO rhetoric is indeed naïve, short-sighted, and
    ridiculousBenkei
    Unless...there's a suitable replacement in place?
  • Benkei
    Since when is being critical about policy choices being "anti-"? NATO has and will continue to do many things wrong as long as the West isn't committed to upholding the rule of law. And I do think Europe needs its defensive alliance but I don't believe US interests sufficiently align with European interests. So the EU should start its own military alliance separate from the US. Until it's ready NATO will have to do.
  • ssu
    As far as the threat to former Eastern European states was concerned. NATO was doing fine when it was all Warsaw Pact.Benkei
    NATO was formed because of the actions of the Soviet Union. Hence that misses the point as obviously East Europe at that time didn't have the ability to choose their sides.

Yes, you like to ignore twenty years of warning in favour of a single instance and then focus on one speech by Putin in which he claimed Ukraine was artificial.Benkei
    Just one speech? How about the actual annexations and Russification now acted in Ukraine? How do you forget that? It's not one speech, it's a multitude of actions that Russia has done.

And on the contrary, it's twenty years of Russia showing that it doesn't care a god damn shit about the sovereignty of other smaller states and does want to be an imperialist. It is an Empire and is really frightened that it will collapse to be something like Austria as it is totally incapable of being something like the UK (keeping the country together without violence and accepting separatist movements as being part of democracy). Somehow in the delusional pro-Putinist camp (who consider them "realists") this is something that Russia has a given right to and OMG, if the smaller states don't surrender to Russia and seek refuge from an International defence pact, it's all the fault of the US.

Just ask yourself why these countries were so worried about Russia in the first place. The obvious reason is that the Warsaw Pact was actually for keeping the countries in the Soviet sphere, secondary role was to fight NATO. And in this role Warsaw Pact was very successfully. The Soviet military operations (wars) of occupying Hungary and Czechoslovakia were actually so successful, that Russia tried to mimic similar strategy in the first Chechen war and in Ukraine in 2022. And even today Russia's CSTO clearly shows it has nothing to do with defense of the individual members (as Armenia has found out the hard way) and everything to be an instrument of Russian control.

If you think NATO is similar, then what NATO members have been attacked by other NATO members when they went against US lines? The difficulty of Sweden joining just shows that NATO is really an international organization and you have to have then all the countries agreeing on the policies. Otherwise the US has just to pick an alliance of the willing and not bother NATO. And hence the US is on occasion so disappointed with the organization because it's an international organization and not a tool of control as the Warsaw pact was.

And if you're in the camp of "might makes right", then don't bitch about what Israel does to the Palestinians in Gaza or what the US did (does?) under it's War-on-Terror response to the 9/11 attacks.

The assumption also that NATO, or any group of countries, is (or indeed will be) a force for good forever is ridiculous.Benkei
    Well, it's not a tool of internal suppression as Hungary and Czechoslovakia found out of the Warsaw Pact.

Are countries bad? Yes, we can agree on that everything that Netherlands has done has been always bad, yet the present leadership of the Netherlands doesn't have ideas of conquering back Belgium and then starting a harsh "Dutchification" program of the Belgians, because Belgium is an artificial state and should be naturally part of the Netherlands. And those who oppose this are just hostile towards the Netherlands, because obviously the Netherlands is a great power and is forced to do this and thus we have to be realists, Great powers do what they do! So you have that difference with Russia, even if you are otherwise so immoral and evil like us Finns and everything you do is bad, like we do.
  • jorndoe
    , critique or (supposed) prophecy? Should such a time come, "hungry nice fascist/authoritarian powerhouses" would appreciate similar sentiments toward an effective European defense. And they'll help them along too. Divide and conquer has worked well enough. Maybe ask the Baltics Finns Swedes Moldovans Ukrainians about (the ehevil) NATO. (I'd repeat other things, but, anyway, nevermind.)

Small group of pre-war buddies, now paratroopers, with journalists, enter a battle zone. Metal in the air. 14 hours documented in 26 minutes. It's about sending the invaders packing, and that's it. Started with the Kremlin's ownership/entitlement attitudes and "vision". Probably not what you want in your neighborhood.
    Surrounded by the Russians. UA Paratroopers & United24 Journalists under RU Assault. Kayfariki & BSDG (— UNITED24 · May 4, 2024 · 26m:48s)

I'm a bit surprised how little anti-drone weaponry has been developed. Maybe a drone-capturing drone? Not trivial, but much tech is available.

red linesTzeentch

Ukraine has its own "red lines" otherwise known as borders. So does Belgium, Finland, Japan and others.
  • jorndoe
    FYI, published a year ago, has takeaways:

Kennan Cable No. 82: Putin’s Home War: Imperialism vs. Economy
    — Marsha McGraw Olive · Wilson Center · May 2023 · 9 pages (pdf)

Short article with some historical background:

Why the USSR Collapsed Economically
    — Matthew Johnston, Michael J Boyle, Katrina Munichiello · Investopedia · Jun 24, 2021

Might be of interest to some.
  • jorndoe
    A suggested revision of Ukraine's Peace Formula:

5. Donbas and Crimea to become free transparent independent democracies, under UN supervision (Europol might take a role) until such a time that their developments are deemed sufficiently safe free independent recovered (with borders) for the UN to take leave

7. Investigation of all alleged war crimes, and prosecution where found (e.g. ICJ, ICC)

Seems reasonable enough, as well as technically possible. Or something along those lines. The UN is large enough to handle the load. I'm guessing Kyiv would consider and the Kremlin would deny (pure conjectures on my part). But this could well mean bona fide peace.

Could it be done?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet