• Vera Mont
    there may be challenges and dilemas along the way.Tom Storm

There is a huge one: the rising far right

At least 417 anti-LGBTQ bills have been introduced in state legislatures across the United States since the start of the year — a new record, according to American Civil Liberties Union data as of April 3. That’s already more than twice the number of such bills introduced all of last year.

Education and health care-related bills, in particular, are flooding in at unprecedented levels. Along with a renewed push to ban access to gender-affirming health care for transgender youth, there has been a heavy focus on regulating curriculum in public schools, including discussions around gender identity and sexuality.

They need their scapegoats!
  • Tom Storm
    Of course. I am assuming that this far right generally locates its core values in debased and bigoted expressions of religion.
  • Vera Mont
    I am assuming that this far right generally locates its core values in debased and bigoted expressions of religion.Tom Storm

I don't think it has anything to do with their core beliefs - they have none, beyond "We Want Power!"; were that not so, how could they support... that .... The bigoted religious stuff is to keep the support of their bigoted religious voters.
  • Tom Storm
    Yes. People with no beliefs don’t care about trans, etc. What you seem to be saying is there are significant numbers of voters who hold such views through some religious values. And parties exploit these. Which is where I was heading.
  • Vera Mont
    Which is where I was heading.Tom Storm

In that case, we entirely agree. They have other groups whose prejudices/ fears / hopes they can exploit also. The trick - and it's pretty nearly complete - is to get them all under one flag... and set it on fire.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.