• NOS4A2

Well, I was talking about the last few presidents, but sure, point taken.
  • tim wood
    I have not lied once. You have been demonstrably proven a liar.NOS4A2

Folks from the state of Missouri in the US have a response to this; it's their state motto. Show me!
  • NOS4A2

I already did show you. Your sanctimony and moral posturing were also proven lies and hypocrisy.
  • S
    Well, I was talking about the last few presidents, but sure, point taken.NOS4A2

And yet, "words have no power", right?

Maybe you should focus on polices instead of words, as you've pressed others to do.
  • NOS4A2

And yet, "words have no power", right?

Maybe you should focus on polices instead of words, as you've pressed others to do.

They don’t, as is evident by your powerless words.
  • praxis
    They don’t, as is evident by your powerless words.NOS4A2

The evidence shows you reacting to his words. Reacting childishly but reacting nevertheless.
  • Relativist
    So we’re you lying that they were lies? Shouldn’t you now apologize?NOS4A2
    There is zero doubt that Trump lies. I just acknowledge that some of his untruths are a product of ignorance, compounded with arrogance.

Yes, Trump isn’t some technocrat or academic or lawyer. He doesn’t speak eloquently like Obama, or apologize when he gets something wrong. But that’s the problem: all you guys want are slick talkers, people who will enforce the bounds of political correctness and sing you lullabies when the going gets tough. But what has a slick talker or ivy-league lawyer ever really done? What have they created?
    I haven't been debating your views on Trump. I've been explaining why it is wrong to label reactions to him as "mass hysteria". Whether you embrace it or not, his level of untruthfulness is unprecedented for a President, so it should be no surprise that this results in unprecedented reactions.

I am astounded that you attack the very notion that people, particularly leaders, should be truthful and held accountable when they're not. This takes partisan rationalization to an unprecedented level. Trump is truly leading his followers to the dark side.
  • Michael
    How about this for an awful policy:

President Trump is so eager to complete hundreds of miles of border fence ahead of the 2020 presidential election that he has directed aides to fast-track billions of dollars’ worth of construction contracts, aggressively seize private land and disregard environmental rules, according to current and former officials involved with the project.

He also has told worried subordinates that he will pardon them of any potential wrongdoing should they have to break laws to get the barriers built quickly, those officials said.

Anything to help his 2020 campaign...
  • S
    They don’tNOS4A2

And yet we just agreed that slick talkers have made significant achievements, which apparently had nothing to do with their "powerless words". I thought that Hitler rose to fame and power through his speeches in the beer halls, and that Churchill's speeches boosted British morale during the war, but I must have just dreamt that.
  • Relativist
    He also has told worried subordinates that he will pardon them of any potential wrongdoing should they have to break laws to get the barriers built quickly, those officials said
    If true, that's contrary to faithfully executing the laws. Yet another valid article of impeachment.
  • tim wood
    Meaningless words from a liar. I ask you to show, and you carefully do not. If we were near, I'd beat you to kennel with a stick, for that's all and more than you're worth.
  • NOS4A2

I haven't been debating your views on Trump. I've been explaining why it is wrong to label reactions to him as "mass hysteria". Whether you embrace it or not, his level of untruthfulness is unprecedented for a President, so it should be no surprise that this results in unprecedented reactions.

I am astounded that you attack the very notion that people, particularly leaders, should be truthful and held accountable when they're not. This takes partisan rationalization to an unpresedented level.

Trump talks a lot, but you limit yourself to the few bite-sized, quote-mined, out of context selections of the anti-Trump press. You may know all his so-called “lies” and repeat them verbatim, but I wonder if you can express anything he said that was true? Or is that evidence the contrary strictly forbidden?

Yes, mass hysteria.
  • NOS4A2

And yet we just agreed that slick talkers have made significant achievements, which apparently had nothing to their "powerless words". I thought that Hitler rose to fame and power through his speeches in the beer halls, and that Churchill's speeches boosted British morale during the war, but I must have just dreamt that.

Oh right, you believe in sorcery.
  • S
    You may know all his so-called “lies” and repeat them verbatim, but I wonder if you can express anything he said that was true? Or is that evidence the contrary strictly forbidden?NOS4A2

That thing he said about covfefe. The rest of it was lies.

Oh right, you believe in sorcery.NOS4A2

Yes. Hitler was a warlock, and Churchill was a wizard. Churchill was famed for his black Homburg hat, but little is it known that in private, when he was casting spells and such, he wore a purple conical-shaped hat with a broad brim.
  • NOS4A2

That thing he said about covfefe. The rest of it was lies.

A lie. It’s amazing that the very people who wag their finger at the president for his falsities have no qualms about spewing their own.
  • S
    A lie. It’s amazing that the very people who wag their finger at the president for his falsities have no qualms about spewing their own.NOS4A2

Maybe you should look up the difference between a lie and something said with tongue in cheek. Your idol has a proclivity for both.
  • S
    Nixon 2.0.
  • NOS4A2

Maybe you should look up the difference between a lie and something said with tongue in cheek. Your idol has a proclivity for both.

Exactly. We can forgive each other’s hyperbole and sarcasm.
  • S
    Exactly. We can forgive each other’s hyperbole and sarcasm.NOS4A2

What's there to forgive? I thought words were powerless?

You believe in sorcery?
  • praxis

Exactly. We can forgive each other’s hyperbole and sarcasm.
    NOS4A2

And the lies from Trump that you have just acknowledged in this post?
  • Relativist
    You're evading the issue. Of course he says some true things, but how is that relevant?

Trump talks a lot, but you limit yourself to the few bite-sized, quote-mined, out of context selections of the anti-Trump pressNOS4A2
    Are you claiming it's false to claim he tells so many untruths - that it's all partisan distortion? !
  • NOS4A2

Are you claiming it's false to claim he tells so many untruths - that it's all partisan distortion? !

Yes, it’s called card-stacking.
  • S
    And the lies from Trump that you have just acknowledged in this post?praxis

:lol:
  • Relativist
    You've gone from just saying you don't think we should word police, to acquitting him of ever being wrong.

Please show that the charges of falsehood documented here are actually partisan distortion. No rush, take your time. The exercise will do you good.
  • NOS4A2

I already said, it’s card-stacking, which is a known propaganda technique. It might be best to learn to protect yourself against this instead of falling for it, and worse, reiterating it.
  • praxis

Over 12k lies since taking office is quite a stack indeed. You should learn to protect yourself from its influence.
  • NOS4A2

Not lies. But it’s no strange wonder you’d all keep using that term—you’ve been taught to.
  • praxis

As I just pointed out. You just acknowledged the lies, perhaps unwittingly but there it is for us all to see.
  • NOS4A2

As I just pointed out. You just acknowledged the lies, perhaps unwittingly but there it is for us all to see.

That’s a lie.
  • praxis

S stated that Trump has a tendency to both lie and exaggerate. You responded with “exactly.” So you acknowledged his tendency to lie.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.