• Srap Tasmaner
    they are both merely systems on a trajectory towards consciousness.sackoftrout

This is your claim, but I don't think it is sustainable. There is a distinction, which people clearly do recognize, between actual entities and possible entities, and it is evident that they encode that distinction in their moral intuitions.
  • Thorongil
    As you say, you cannot inflict harm or suffering on a non-conscious object. A foetus is not conscious, therefore you cannot inflict harm on it. Its cognitive abilities are irrelevant.sackoftrout

I was clearly using both words to mean the same thing. A fetus is most definitely conscious, just not as conscious as a more developed human organism.

Actions of moral relevance can only be carried out in physical reality.sackoftrout

So you're assuming naturalism.
  • Srap Tasmaner

We probably should have done this at the beginning.

P = "All actual or possible conscious systems must be allowed to develop."
    Q = "Unrestricted procreation must be allowed."
    R = "Abortion must not be performed."

We have as premises
    (1) PQ
    (2) PR
    (3) ¬Q

From (1) and (3), we can conclude, by modus tollens:
    (4) ¬P

So far, so good.

But then I think you are trying to infer from (2) and (4)
    *(5) ¬R

That's no good.(PR) & ¬P does not entail ¬R.

Wikipedia calls this Denying the antecedent.

It is perfectly consistent to affirm (1) through (4) and R, as I keep suggesting many people do.

ALSO: You cannot infer from (1) through (3) that RP.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.